X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ckohler0529
    • Apr 2017

Stumped and confused

Hi everyone. I have rewired my A4 using the Moyer DC Power schematic. The engine won't turnover and I don't know why. Battery is charged. When I turn the key there is a barely audible static buzz but nothing else. Pic is attached. Any insight is much appreciated.
    Attached Files
  • sdemore
    • Nov 2016

ckohler0529,

Start with the basics. Make sure you have the battery connected to the starter, the engine grounded, and 12 volts at the starter. make sure you have 12v on the solenoid when you turn the ignition switch to start. If you have those two things, you should have the engine turning over.

Steve
    Steve Demore
    S/V Doin' It Right
    Pasadena, MD
    sigpic

Comment

• Ken Rockwell
      • May 2017

The picture is a little hard to see but I think the buzzing is a bad connection with the alligator clips. try sending close ups of each part. Are the clips from a charger or a jury rigged terminal clamp. modern alligator clamps tend to corrode within a year.

Comment

• ndutton
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2009

Please remove the purple wire from the coil until this is sorted out.

Voltage tests:
        1. Red wire to the engine block
        2. Yellow wire to the engine block, key in start position. You may need a helper for that one
        Please provide a close up picture of the connections on the solenoid
        Neil
        1977 Catalina 30
        San Pedro, California
        prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
        Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ckohler0529
          • Apr 2017

Thanks to everyone who replied to my wiring question

Thank you so much for replying. After reading your posts, I no longer trust my battery charger. I am going to have my batteries checked. If my suspicion is correct, I am going to have to replace them . I won't be back to the boat, which is on the hard, until the 5th. I do have a couple more questions though. If the boat is on the hard, can I still use the engine as a ground? I have my negative battery terminal ground to the engine. All of my connections are ring terminals by the way. Also, do I need to ground the ammeter? If so, do I ground it to the engine? I have attached a clearer picture. If the new batteries don't turn the engine, I will supply follow up pictures of all the terminals. Thanks again for all your help. This whole process seems much less overwhelming because of all of you.
          Attached Files

Comment

• sdemore
            • Nov 2016

Don't ground the ammeter, or it will just show you how much current your alternator can put out with a direct short, while things burn up. The ammeter is connected in series with the alternator output and shows the current flow at any given time. Grounding it would just be a short from the alternator to ground, which would be very bad.
            Steve Demore
            S/V Doin' It Right
            Pasadena, MD
            sigpic

Comment

• ckohler0529
              • Apr 2017

Update on Tartan 27

Quick update everyone. Turns out the previous owner sold me dead batteries - what a shock! (Pun and sarcasm intended) No wonder he drove away so fast after we closed. Anyway, I replaced the batteries and the engine roared to life. I will post some close up photos of the some of the wiring connections just to make sure I have connected everything correctly. Thanks again everyone.

Comment

• Fstued
                • Jan 2014

i failed to connect the ground to the engine Took a full day to realize that, duh. the buzz my guess is a bad connection Make sure all conections are tight and everything grounded

Comment

Working...
                X