X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • domenic
    • Jul 2010

Fast way to change oil on the A4.

The top plate of my gear box is easy to remove. The gearbox oil is from the engine. I pump it out from the gear box, and replace it there.

My first oil change is to clean the engine. After one hour of running, I give it a second oil change. I like to change oil every thirty hours of engine time.

I don't like the oil hole on the side of the engine. It took me two weekends to get the bolt off the first time.
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

I use the MMI Oil Change Kit.
    My oil change takes 5-10 minutes. Nary a drop spilled.

If something is easy to do, you'll be more likely to do it.
    Especially if you're as lazy as I am!
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Skywalker
      • Jan 2012

I have the old hand pump. Works great. I put a 2 liter soda bottle in the sump in front of my A4 (lots of room on a T27) and pump away.

Simple, clean, and reliable.

I'm due for a change. I also think some gunk came lose from somewhere. My pressure was jumping around a bit, then settled back down. I'm guessing some gunk got caught in the screen?

Anyway, some nice clean oil should do the trick.

Chris.

Comment

• Mo
        Afourian MVP
        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post

I'm due for a change. I also think some gunk came lose from somewhere. My pressure was jumping around a bit, then settled back down. I'm guessing some gunk got caught in the screen?

Anyway, some nice clean oil should do the trick.

Chris.
        Usually it's right around the oil pressure sender. Usually you can remove it easily, place a rag over the hole and have someone click the starter...the ball will pop out with a splash of oil. Clean it all up and replace. There are times you may have to replace the components and MMI sells it. Usually not a major at all.
        Mo

"Odyssey"
        1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
        The optimist expects it to change.
        The realist adjusts the sails.
        ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• Skywalker
          • Jan 2012

Awesome, thanks, as always.

It's a crappy day on Long Island. Good day for maintenance. Now, if I can get my son out of bed...

Chris

Comment

• yeahjohn
            • Jun 2012

West marine oil extractor... pump 20 times sit back and watch the oil collect. I did three oil changes in one hour after my exciting water issue.

Comment

• Skywalker
              • Jan 2012

Mo,

Changed the oil yesterday, solo, son sleeping, so didn't remove the sensor.

Had about 20 hours since last change. Pretty grimy. I decided to add some MMO. I used a 30 weight for high mileage by penzoil that claims to remove 40% of sludge with the first change. I figure this will be my last change until haul out in about 6 weeks. I don't trust these kind of claims, up I guess it can hurt.

The pressure held steady right around 40. I'm going for a sail tomorrow, so I'll motor out for a change and see if it jumps around.

Chris

Comment

• Mo
                Afourian MVP
                • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Skywalker View Post
                Mo,

Changed the oil yesterday, solo, son sleeping, so didn't remove the sensor.

Had about 20 hours since last change. Pretty grimy. I decided to add some MMO. I used a 30 weight for high mileage by penzoil that claims to remove 40% of sludge with the first change. I figure this will be my last change until haul out in about 6 weeks. I don't trust these kind of claims, up I guess it can hurt.

The pressure held steady right around 40. I'm going for a sail tomorrow, so I'll motor out for a change and see if it jumps around.

Chris
                Chris,
                Once you do multiple changes at the 20-25 hrs mark you will notice the oil won't be as dirty. When I check the oil on my dipstick now, after doing this for about 5 yrs, I have to look close to see where the oil is because it is so clean. It will come. For the cost of oil and less than an hour's work it's pretty good insurance. Again, I like my 15W40 but will never say too much about what oil anyone puts in an engine...frequent oil changes make all the difference in the world on engine life.

Just an example for ya: My dodge cummins recommends oil change every 10,000 miles and holds 12 quarts....that is on the safe side and the engine manufacture knows that. I change mine every 5000 K....the truck has almost 280,000 miles on it and is not even a bit tired. I could go out and jump on her now and she would smoke 'em. I've never added oil between changes and I'd go anywhere in it. The engine was no better than other cummins engines of the same type, but the maintenance schedule keeps wear down.
                Mo

"Odyssey"
                1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
                The optimist expects it to change.
                The realist adjusts the sails.
                ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

Mo..+1 on your comments. Considering the punishment we put on engine oil, I agree that frequent changes are the key to long engine life.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• Skywalker
                    • Jan 2012

I'm sold.

Doesn't sound like your dodge is broken in yet!

I bought an old Chevy suburban for knock around projects, towing my wife's trailer, etc. I don't know who had it, but there was 289,000 when I bought it. It now has 305,000, burns a little oil, bit runs great. It sits for long periods, starts ight up when called to duty. I'm pretty good about oil changes now.

My access is so good on my A4, the manual pump works well. The only downside is I can't get the sump empty. I get 3+ quarts out. Obviously, frequent changes will help this. This offseason, I'll get a hose down in there and clean it out a few times.

I want this baby to run for a while, she's only a 1966 after all!

Chris

Comment

• ILikeRust
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by yeahjohn View Post
                      West marine oil extractor... pump 20 times sit back and watch the oil collect. I did three oil changes in one hour after my exciting water issue.
                      Yup. Me too.

- Bill T.
                      - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• robshepherd
                        • Sep 2012

Question (naturally...)

What do you guys think about "flushing" with kerosene or diesel? I've heard a couple of times "down on the docks" that I might remove the oil, add diesel, run it at idle for 10 minutes or so, pump it all out, and then refill with fresh oil. Presumably this gets the sediment out that is otherwise difficult to get with a normal pump out.

Is there anything to this, or is it a bad idea?

Thank you! -Rob
                        Rob Shepherd
                        1973 Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 30 MKIII
                        sigpic

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

10 minutes? Oh hell no. 20 seconds? Maybe.
                          - Bill T.
                          - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• robshepherd
                            • Sep 2012

Wow

Originally posted by ILikeRust View Post
                            10 minutes? Oh hell no. 20 seconds? Maybe.
                            Wow. Ok. See, this is why I come to you all. I'm taking it that your "maybe" caveat means you wouldn't do this. -R
                            Rob Shepherd
                            1973 Sparkman & Stephens Yankee 30 MKIII
                            sigpic

Comment

• CalebD
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2007

It is an interesting idea. I'm really no expert on oils
                              We use MMO oil in our engine oil and a bit in the gas but it is nearly a 5W weight oil, very thin.
                              I'm not sure how diesel would compare with the 30-40W oil most use. From the standpoint that diesel is pretty stinky I don't think I would use it to try and "flush" out the oil pan.
                              A few repeated oil changes seems to get most of the bottom crud out of the oil gallery.
                              Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
                              A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X