X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Allen Kamfonik
    • Jan 2007

Crank Shaft Alignment

I was given an A4 in a box that was sitting around a machine shop. I am getting ready to install the crank shaft. Normal motors would have marks to align the crank with the cam shaft with the timing belt. What’s the best way to get the crank and cam aligned on the gears.

Thanks Allen
  • adab1402
    • Mar 2007

obtain by hook or crook ,dons atomic 4 engine book

fair winds

Comment

• Don Moyer
      • Oct 2004

Allen,

There is a small "0" on the front face of one of the teeth of the small crankshaft gear and a small "0" between two teeth on the camshaft gear. You simply line up these two "0"s. If for any reason the small gear on the end of the crankshaft was removed, it only goes back on in one orientation so the whole operation is pretty difficult to screw up.

If you have one of our MMI Service and Overhaul Manuals, you can refer to the overhaul section for more details to help you in your reassembly, particularly Chapters 4 and 5.

Don

Comment

• ebphinn
        • May 2022

I have a motor that was assembled incorrectly. The cam gear was not lined up with the crank correctly. Can I fix this by removing the top case of the reverse gear and then removing the cam gear and rotating the crank to the correct position and re installing the gear?

Comment

Working...
        X