Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 66.93.148.194
Old 10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
duncan59

Question Leaky Carb or thereabouts

I wonder who can help me trouble-shoot my gasoline leak. I don't really know which little metal blob is what part on the port side of my A4, (it's really hard to get to) but somewhere under and behind the little bowl near the carb is a constant leaky drip of gasoline. I have turned off the fuel while not on the boat, and dare not use my engine because of the fire/explosion risk.
I am thinking it might be crud somewhere in the carb... but I really don't know. I do have two fuel filters however, so I should be filtering off the bad stuff and H2O.
What tools and kits do I need from Moyer Marine to work on this problem, and what am I looking for? I would like to be able to deal with anything that presents itself while I have the mechanism apart so would like to be equipped.
thanks,
Duncan
  #2   IP: 205.188.116.201
Old 10-02-2007, 11:01 PM

Duncan:

I believe you are referring to the mechanical fuel pump sediment bowl. If indeed this is your problem it is very simply to take apart. Place absorbent mat under bowl area to catch any gas spilt. Loosen the bowl bail star nut at the bottom of the bail. The bail is that wishbone configeration which when loosened and swung out of the way allows the sediment bowl to drop and be removed. The bowl has a screen on the top and sealing is completed by the bowl washer. Moyer has all the parts available. Clean the bowl completely and reassemble.

Simplier solution is to wipe down bowl and turn the star nut to the right
tightening up the connection and if this stops the leak add the above procedure to your winter maintenance. If you are a year round southern sailer do it now. I have less than a month remaining for this season so I'm putting off routine maintenance as long as I feel it's safe.
  #3   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 10-03-2007, 09:09 AM

Duncan,

To build a bit on Bayway27's well stated advice, it appears that access difficulty will require that you perform most of this work "by feel". I therefore suggest that you pick up one of the inspection mirrors that are available at most any local auto parts store. They come in various sizes and most have extendable thin handles so they can be placed in rather tight quarters. With practice, you can shine a flashlight on the mirror and illuminate areas that are not only restricted but very dark.

If you can at least see what you're dealing with, you may be able to find the various components more easily by feel, not to mention pin down the source of the leak with more certainty.

Don
  #4   IP: 64.136.144.138
Old 10-03-2007, 02:26 PM
duncan59

Inspection Mirror

Thanks Don,
As it happens, I just got one of those mirrors to work on my reversing assembly last weekend. With a shop-light angled just right, that mirror really helped me to see that my adjusting pin was slotting into one of the notches on the adjusting collar.
I have other questions for you on changing a head gasket on a different forum.
Thanks,
Duncan