Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 173.53.22.120
Old 01-05-2013, 08:43 PM
Afourian MVP

Flushing the gas tank

So I've seen here and there general and vague references to cleaning out or flushing the gas tank to get rid of accumulated gunk.

I'm thinking I might want to do that to mine, seeing as I have no idea if anyone has ever done it (although I think the previous owner did at some point, but it probably was something like 8 years ago), and as far as I know, the tank on my boat is the factory original, and therefore is now about 44 years old.

So - does anyone have a good reference for a recommended method/procedure for "flushing" out the gas tank?

I might actually be making more trouble for myself than anything else, because so far, I have no reason to believe it's gunked up or anything - the engine is running fine. I just feel like I'm running on borrowed time and it's only a matter of time before some crud shakes loose and works its way down the fuel line...

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #2   IP: 99.124.190.130
Old 01-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Afourian MVP

What's the material of the tank?
I've heard of folks using the Zep industrial purple to loosen up the gunk in the tank. I've used it too as a degreaser, and it's fine. But it's a caustic, and if you put it in contact with aluminum, it's not good for the aluminum. I tried putting carburetor bodies in it, and they make like alka-seltzer tablets!
Would certainly be better to live with the occasional crud burst as long as you have a good filter.
  #3   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 01-05-2013, 09:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Smile good idea.

Bill,
If the boat is not being used much, and the PO didn't use it much, I think it wise to clean out the tank. I will say this about dirty tanks. Once the boat is out in rough weather you will know what you have. Once you are in a sea, and the boat motion is rough, the problems won't take long to arise if you have dirt and or water. The weather in the following clip would be enough to cause fuel delivery problems if there was water or dirt...I don't have the engine on in this but I've motored in worse.

[YOUTUBE]gl8dNbAuI4c[/YOUTUBE]

If you have been through some rough stuff and the engine ran fine I'd be betting the tank is clean. If you have not been in rough weather with the boat, the first time might cause a shut down...not good when the going is not good.

As you probably know, the best method would be to remove it and clean it manually with a solvent and brush (something like a toilet brush would do the trick). How much of a job do you think it would be to get the tank out? Some can be removed without removing the engine...some can't. Utimately removing the tank is best...you will know what you've accomplished. Otherwise, it still will require a test run like in the clip.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #4   IP: 173.53.22.120
Old 01-05-2013, 10:10 PM
Afourian MVP

Mo -

I actually had the boat out in weather like that - maybe even slightly worse (very, very wet - both from rain coming from the sky and spray coming over the bow) - and the engine ran just fine. And that was before I pulled it out and overhauled it.

As far as getting the tank out, I'm gonna say that's a non-starter. I think it would be pretty much impossible to get the tank out with out removing a bulkhead or two or cutting out the cockpit or something.

The tank is Monel, which I view as a big positive. It's 20 gallons, and to remove it would require doing some demolition/disassembly of the wooden supporting framework, and even if I did get it loose, I really don't think it would fit out of any of the openings it would have to go through.

So it seems I would be limited to cleaning it in situ.

I don't see how I would use a toilet brush to get inside of it, either - the only access would be down through the fill pipe, which is only about 1-1/2" in diameter, maybe smaller.

What kind of solvent would anyone recommend? I've got several ideas - just wondering what anyone has used that has worked.

Still not sure I need to do it, though. I've been thinking about draining the tank out to I can visually inspect what the gas looks like first, before deciding whether it's even something I need to worry about.

Maybe I just like to worry about things on my boat too much.

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  #5   IP: 67.8.77.126
Old 01-05-2013, 10:31 PM

As a preamble, I am a newb to gasoline engines/tanks. But I also have a monel tank in my boat, and will be doing to it what i did to diesel/aluminum tank on my previous boat:

Get a snaking brush, either for toilets, drains, or even musical instruments. mine is for a Tuba! Drain that tank completely, then find the low corner (there is always a low corner) and cyphon out the remaining ounce or so with a hand transfer pump.

Next drop that snaking brush down to the low area (the fuel will naturally carry particles there) and scrub a bit. It will be awkward but it does just enough You can then take bits of cloth - like a t-shirt - and rubber band it to the brush and repeat. the shirt fabric will pick up alot of crud.

Alternatively, I saw a friend duct tape a cyphoning hose to a vacuum hose and suck stuff out that way! I dont know how safe that would be with gasoline, but it worked great for Diesel!

Hope that helps a little bit I'll be watching this thread as I'm headin in the same direction.
Cheers! Jason
  #6   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 01-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Afourian MVP

Bill,

If you had her running in weather I`d hazard to say you don`t have much of an issue in the tank. What allot of people do is gear up an electric pump with a couple of in line filters...clear ones.

Ensuring fire hazards with wiring etc all under control, pump the contents of the tank into Jerry cans. Your clear filters will give you a very good indication of what is in the tank and the what they are catching.

Another idea. My friend (a real mechanic) got a new camera for Christmas....it's a wire less camera and the lense is on a 3 foot flexible extension...it could reach into the tank and take a pic once you have the fuel out....then you would know. Attached link will give you an idea what I`m talking about...a little different than his. Could probably rent one for a look-see from auto parts supplier. http://www.hollandelectronics.com/ca...Camera-Monitor

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.
  #7   IP: 67.163.51.47
Old 01-06-2013, 08:39 AM

Just cleaned my Alum. tank.

Warning an empty gas tank full of fumes, is a BOMB!!!

Anyway, I drained the gas and let it air-out outside for a day, away from any people or potential ignition sources. Then I immediately filled the tank with water to drive out any remaining fumes, (at this point I still treat it as a bomb). Then I emptied it and added lots of dish soap and a little hot water . I plugged the openings and agitated vigorously, let set and repeated, repeated, repeated...
Then I rinsed multiple times, filling it completely every time!(At this point I feel it's safe. but I still keep it away from ignition sources!) Then I hooked a loose shop-vacuum hose to the large opening and put the other end near a fan to pull a little air through the tank to dry.
All this got the bulk of the crud, but left a layer of varnish.
Most people here then recommended a solvent to cut the varnish, but I didn't like the idea of "arming the bomb" again.
So, what I did was get a Qt. of "CLR", (you know, the stuff for hardwater stains). I used that, as I did the soap earlier, sloshing and letting it set repeatedly. then I rinsed as I did earlier and finished drying it as I did earlier.

In the end, the results were spectacular! Absolutely new looking inside.
I probably could have explained this better, but I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Joel H.
  #8   IP: 66.108.51.167
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM
Afourian MVP

To go along with Mo's idea of using a camera to look into the tank, most self respecting cesspool service outfits use a remote camera so they can examine a septic tank without actually crawling into it. A camera like this could quickly inspect your tank, if the camera would fit through the small opening.

Bill,

If you have not experienced any erratic engine rpm's coupled with stalling out then I doubt you have a serious fuel tank contamination issue. OTOH if you just want to confirm that your tank is clean then by all means, have at it.

I also have a Monel 20 gallon tank that is 45+ years old, perhaps from the same mfr as yours since our boats are of similar vintage. Gas tank bomb or not, I used this hand pump to empty my tank a few years ago that resulted in my trademark photo of dirty gas: http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?...5206&id=119134

I have yet to remove my old tank or give it a good cleaning so I expect to have to pump out the bottom of the tank every couple of years. Removing the tank for a thorough cleaning and inspection is still on my "honey do" list.

I will also note that in my case our pickup tube has a hole in it just below half way down. In effect this makes my 20 gal. tank actually a 12 gal. tank with an 8 gal reserve that I can never use. This also provides plenty of space in the bottom of the tank where crud can build up without effecting my engine much. Do you know how far down in the tank your pick up tube goes? Also on my "honey do" list is to replace the pick up tube.
Attached Images

Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
A4 and boat are from 1967