Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#1   IP: 71.161.231.137
Old 05-06-2023, 06:55 AM

fuel filter kit

I purchased a Moyer Marine in-line fuel filter kit last year but never got around to installing it. I would like to do so soon as the boat is getting ready to be splashed. The installation instructions seem clear, but I do have a couple of hopefully easy to answer questions. First, when I install the threaded fittings into the carb and fuel pump, what should I use to seal them, i.e. teflon tape, or some other type of dope like material? Secondly, should I try and fill the filter with fuel before installing it? Thanks in advance.
  #2   IP: 162.245.50.247
Old 05-06-2023, 09:24 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
The teflon tape works fine if you are very careful not to get any over the end of the fitting. Any loose end can work it's way into the carb. I prefer using a liquid/pasty style sealant on fuel fittings just because of the previous statement.

What filter are you installing? The inline polishing filter should not require any fittings, just cut the fuel line and slip in with hose clamps. No need to fill the polishing filter.

If installing the canister/separator style filling is not necessary in most cases and if you do fill it just be very careful not to spill any of the fuel .

Dave Neptune
  #3   IP: 71.161.231.137
Old 05-06-2023, 04:28 PM

I did the job today and ended up using the TFE goopy stuff on the fittings. I bought the filter kit that Moyer sells and followed the directions that they included with it. I removed the 1/8" or so fuel line between the fuel pump and carb and the fittings that went into each. I then put in the new fittings that were supplied with the kit (using the goop). the final step was to put the metal cannister filter in using the supplied pieces of fuel line and hose clamps. I also put a new primary fuel filter in at the same time. I wasn't able to test it as the boat is still on the hard and I haven't run the motor. Hopefully all will be well.