Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Troubleshooting

#1   IP: 173.78.211.16
Old 08-22-2011, 08:38 PM
Frequent Contributor

Unhappy New Atomic 4 owner with shifting issues

We just recently purchased our '77 C&C 30 and have had about 3 weeks of bliss before things started acting up.

1) Its REALLY difficult to switch gears, doesn't matter which gear, and its hard to tell that you did in dead switch out of gear...

2) Engine suddenly turned off at higher RPM on our way back to the dock after a wonderful day of sailing, started up again with no problem, did this twice

3) next time out she began to act like she was surging or slowing however you want to look at it but it felt like we were riding the waves when none were around

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.
  #2   IP: 208.89.140.11
Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM
Afourian MVP

Hi, I would disconnect the shift cable to isolate either the cable or the A4.

There are many reasons for a shutdown and a restart, since it happened at high rpm and your surging after, you may have fuel related issues and maybe more than 1. There could be ignition problems also

Search the site as many people have had this issue in the past.

any fuel filters, pressure gauges ? Last time replaced ? Last tune up ?

Points or electronic ignition ?

type of exhaust ? last replaced ?
  #3   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 08-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Afourian MVP

Question

Hi...welcome to the crowd.

smosher has asked lots of good questions. All three of those things at this time seem unrelated..we should tackle them individually.

sudden shut down:
The C-30 (I also have a '77) has a pretty well documented case of issues related to the original ignition wiring...undersized/inadequate/plugs & connections that corrode/long wire runs to the instrument panel since the engine is farther away than most, etc..
A sudden shut down, and then a re-start could be a short in that circuit somewhere. Don Moyer has documented this pretty well..I recommend a search, I think he has something in his FAQ on the home page. This fix is replacement with adequate wire sizes, and elimination of the problematic connector plugs.

Shifter cable:
+1 what smosher said. Remove the cable and see how it shifts..then we know if it is 'reversing gear' related (no actual transmission in an A4) or cable related. On a C-30, the engine end of the shift cable is under the galley counter top just to port of the prop shaft.

surging:
Um..we'll have to see..could be electrical related (bad/inconsistent voltage thru the ignition/points), but also possibly fuel related. How fresh is the fuel? It could also be related to the shifting problem, if it was not fully engaged in forward gear & slipping..There should be a noticeable "detent" that you feel when you shift into forward gear..this detent is the gears & clutch plates locking for a direct drive & connection between the prop shaft & engine.

Do you have any access to the previous owner(s)?? They may help shed some light on any replacements that were or were not done to some of the various systems. Pictures help tremendously, as many of us may be able to recognize any upgrades & repairs.

Pretty soon, you will be an expert on the auxiliary propulsion system.. - I didn't know anything about C-30's or A4's a couple of years ago myself..

If you don't already have one with the boat, with your first order of parts from the Moyer site, I would highly recommend the Moyer A4 manual.. It will become your new bed side table reading material for a few weeks.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif

Last edited by sastanley; 08-23-2011 at 10:46 AM.
  #4   IP: 128.154.211.182
Old 08-23-2011, 10:38 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchirichigno View Post
We just recently purchased our '77 C&C 30 and have had about 3 weeks of bliss before things started acting up.

1) Its REALLY difficult to switch gears, doesn't matter which gear, and its hard to tell that you did in dead switch out of gear...
This is almost always caused by corrosion in the shifter cable. Squirting some WD40 into it might help, but usually replacing the cable is required.

The A4 transmission uses friction clutches, and only has a detent for forward. Reverse has none. This makes "Neutral" kind of a concept, and hard to find. Many people find it by trial & error by observing the prop shaft, and then marking the shifter position to make it easier to find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchirichigno View Post
2) Engine suddenly turned off at higher RPM on our way back to the dock after a wonderful day of sailing, started up again with no problem, did this twice

3) next time out she began to act like she was surging or slowing however you want to look at it but it felt like we were riding the waves when none were around

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated.
Sudden shutoff without any sputtering is usually indicative of an ignition problem. Surging up and down can also be caused by points that are worn or out of adjustment. If you have points (vs an electronic ignition) that would be a good place to start looking. Check the gap with a feeler gauge, or check the dwell while running with a dwell meter.

Last edited by edwardc; 08-26-2011 at 08:37 PM.
  #5   IP: 173.78.211.16
Old 08-24-2011, 09:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thank you all for the feedback - I am going to try my best to answer the questions you asked...

I believe it is an electric ignition

It was given a tune up/oil change in June by the previous owner

It has recently had the water pump (I believe) replaced

I will take some pictures of the engine and post this weekend as I am REALLY new to this - first engine I have ever had to work on - so pardon the complete ignorance on a few of these things.

I am replacing the fuel pump this weekend as further research led me to believe it was the culprit as we smelt gas just before the shut down and surging and the gas gauge went crazy both times.

I will also follow your advice on the cable and report back.

Thank you again for all the feedback - this is a HUGE help - not fumbling around so much in the dark

LC
  #6   IP: 151.200.57.102
Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 PM
Afourian MVP

LC, don't get overwhelmed...we are all here to help each other...we'll tackle one problem at a time.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif
  #7   IP: 209.124.198.180
Old 08-26-2011, 03:25 PM

BTW, where are you located? I am sure we may have a few MMI regulars nearby that will be glad to go over the engine for a couple of beers.
  #8   IP: 173.78.211.16
Old 08-27-2011, 12:33 PM
Frequent Contributor

Manatee County - FL - I would be GLAD to buy the beer for a A4 boot camp session