• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JackConnick
    • Nov 2004

Cold Shutdown

Hi;

Boat starts up great, runs out of gear fine, warms up, revs good. But then if I put it under load it runs ok for a minute or so with good power, but then slowly shuts down. No amount of throttling back and forth will stop it from shutting off.

I can restart it fine, but same deal, shuts down after a minute under load. If I sort of baby it a bit and gradually increase power under load it will run fine, usually about try 3. Runs fine the rest of the day, restarts fine.

Just happens on first start of the day.

I just changed both fuel filters. Gas was old, but I added 2/3rds of a tank of fresh and some Stabil and SeaFoam. Gas appears clean and clear, no water in separator. Same deal.

I guess my next chore would be to clean the carb... or just keep adding some more new gas and see if if stops it?

Ideas?

TIA,
    Jack
  • Al Schober
    Afourian MVP
    • Jul 2009

No idea what's going on, but two recommendations.
    First, add a pressure gauge at the fuel inlet to the carb. Fuel issues will show up as a drop in inlet pressure.
    Second, add a test light to the + terminal of the coil. Perhaps an electrical issue?
    Another thought, while it's shutting down, give it a shot of starting ether and see what happens.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Originally posted by Al Schober View Post
      No idea what's going on, but two recommendations.
      First, add a pressure gauge at the fuel inlet to the carb. Fuel issues will show up as a drop in inlet pressure.
      Second, add a test light to the + terminal of the coil. Perhaps an electrical issue?
      Another thought, while it's shutting down, give it a shot of starting ether and see what happens.
      ^
      What he said.
      Get the fuel pressure gauge! I solved an issue that I would have NEVER figured out without one.
      Also try what he said with the ether. If the engine revs back up, it is lacking fuel.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• JackConnick
        • Nov 2004

It starts right back up easily, that's not the issue.

What problems did you solve by having a fuel pressure gauge? Bad fuel pump? I have a Moyer electric.

I thought about the coil, but usually that issue is when an engine has been running for a while and the coil gets too hot.
        I solved that issue with mounting a high output coil on a bulkhead off the engine.

Jack
        Last edited by JackConnick; 04-28-2022, 11:04 AM.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

An electrical issue will usually cause the engine to just stop like you turned it off.

A weak fuel system can idle and often restart but when throttle is applied the fuel can't keep up with demand and it will fade away and possibly die AND still be able to restart and idle.

What is the fuel pressure at idle and what is it when throttle is applied in gear?

Could be the fuel pump, a clogged filter or a vacuum leak in the fuel system before the pump. A simple gage will answer all of that.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• Surcouf
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • May 2018

Originally posted by JackConnick View Post
            It starts right back up easily, that's not the issue.

What problems did you solve by having a fuel pressure gauge? Bad fuel pump? I have a Moyer electric.

Jack
            Seen several times of this forum: a plugged vent line on the fuel tank. Engine runs fine for some time, then tanks gets into negative pressure when gas level goes down, pump cannot suck gas anymore, engine stalls. Quickly after, engine can re-start, until it stops again... This can be trouble shooted with the ether when it starts stalling, or with a fuel gage

Another usual cause of stalling after some time is an overheating coil, but you cannot usually re-start immeadiatly...
            Surcouf
            A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• JackConnick
              • Nov 2004

OK, but this is very intermittent. Just happens on the first cold start and then resolves itself after a couple of times. A plugged vent would be more pervasive.

I'll check the fuel lines and tighten anything I see. As I said, I changed both filters.

Jack

Comment

• Sam
                Afourian MVP
                • Apr 2010

Question can be answered by opening fuel cap and see what happens with starts.

Comment

• ndutton
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2009

Happens only when it's cold and no mention yet of possible choke issues?
                  Neil
                  1977 Catalina 30
                  San Pedro, California
                  prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                  Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• JackConnick
                    • Nov 2004

Choke is fine.

I talked to Don and he said any of the above would make it run bad all the time, it wouldn't be intermittent.

He thought it was some dirt or something in the carb. He had me do the hand on the air intake thing a couple of times as it was shutting down.

It seemed to fix it, but it needs another test when cold.

Jack

Comment

• Indy
                      • Oct 2014

Does anyone have a nice photo of a fuel pressure gauge installed with a mechanical pump?

Comment

• GregH
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Indy View Post
                        Does anyone have a nice photo of a fuel pressure gauge installed with a mechanical pump?
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	fuel gauage pressure 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	220.2 KB
ID:	201560

Click image for larger version

Name:	ful pressure.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	201561
                        Greg
                        1975 Alberg 30