X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cygnus x1
    • Aug 2011

oil level/oil pressure new shortblock

I've got my new shortbolck installed (thanks guys), but have a question on oil level and pressure. It is installed in a Catalina C30 and because of the angle it sits at, I could only put in 3 qts before it read full on the dip stick (actually a little over). Even after running for the first time (I would think it would hold a little more) it still reads a little over full. Is 3 qts enough? Should I put in 4?
    I'm also only getting 20 lbs on the oil pressure gage. I've adj it two full turns in from how it was when it was set new. Do I keep adjusting untill I get the magic 37 lbs at startup? It has a new sensor but old gage? Need new gage?
    Jeff

MAHAHO '80 Catalina C30 TRBS # 1704
  • ndutton
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2009

It's there for a reason

According to Don, trust the dipstick.
    Neil
    1977 Catalina 30
    San Pedro, California
    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• hanleyclifford
      Afourian MVP
      • Mar 2010

It is very important to get your oil pressure to 40 psi at cruise rpm. Do whatever it takes. Try a new direct read gauge and replace your instrument panel gauge if you are suspicious of it.

Comment

• Al Schober
        Afourian MVP
        • Jul 2009

Cygnus,
        The dipstick location is close to the location of the oil pickup by the pump. Trust the dipstick.
        The oil pressure screw adjustment should give you about 9 psi change per turn of the screw. In should give higher pressure. If you're turning the screw in and the pressure doesn't increase, then you have bigger problems - probably worn bearings.
        Oh yeah, don't trust the electrical gauge - the senders do go bad. Stick in a mechanical gauge, at least until you know what's really going on.

Comment

• sastanley
          Afourian MVP
          • Sep 2008

Jeff,

Make sure the sender is correctly matched for the gauge, and replace them as a set. Different sensors & gauges are not compatible.

Once you know your readings are accurate, then fiddle with the pressure regulator. It is also possible for the ball/spring type regulator to fold over in the hole, and then the spring doesn't push straight on ball..for this reason Moyer also sells the older cone style regulators, which I think they prefer over the spring/ball style.
          -Shawn
          "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
          "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X