Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Cooling System

#1   IP: 207.77.99.220
Old 10-14-2004, 09:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Steaming exhaust

I've applied acid enema and new impeller and temperature is down to a nice 150 deg - but I'm still experiencing steam from the exhaust. It is not a head gasket (compression fine) - any ideas?
  #2   IP: 63.84.92.11
Old 10-14-2004, 11:31 AM

persistent steam

I always have steam and was concerned until I realized that I'm in Lake Superior which is always cold and makes the air immediately above the water surface also cold enough to produce steam from the exausted water. Depending on where you are located, this may help.
  #3   IP: 155.212.34.254
Old 10-14-2004, 04:35 PM

Steaming exhaust

I have the same problem. Its not oil, just steam. I have done the acid wash to the colling system and made all the other little changes, new thermostat, flow diverter etc but still get a lot of steam in the exhaust. I thought it must be the head gasket but, like you, I have decent compression. If you figure it out let me know so i can fix it over the winter.

PM
  #4   IP: 67.174.241.46
Old 10-15-2004, 01:44 AM

Raw water cooled or fresh?

Niether of you mention if you are raw water cooled or dual system cooled (raw and fresh).

Several ideas come to mind:

1. I had an issue with overheating due to an occasionally blocked exhaust manifold outlet elbow (at the rear of the manifold). On occasions a chunk of rust would partially block the elbow and run up the temp. I removed the outlet elbow and it was pretty well pluggd with crud. I then flushed the exaust manifold with a hose via the manifold inlet and outlet by adapting hose fittings and blowing a bit of crud out. The muriatic flcush didn't get the big chunk.

2. Raw water pump. I had a worn cam and a worn faceplate which reduced water flow. Check the face plate with a straight edge and installing a new cam every couple years is a good idea a well. It wasn't much wear on the inside faceplate (1/8th") and the cam was about the same. As a result, efficiency was reduced and with the new plate and cam all is well.

Also, make sure your sea cock and suction hose is not a marine sanctuary. Look for any kinks or restrictions inthe lines as well. If the hoses are 20 odd years old, maybe it's time to replace them. Also, look into the vernalift/aqualift for crud and the exhaust hoses as well. I had an inner collapsed exaust hose on another boat that drove me mad until I took the hose off and found the problem.

If the engine's are dual coolant systems, I'd suspect the heat exchanger. It may need a good muriatic soaking as well. The water pumps are also prime suspects there too.

I'm on San Fran Bay and H20 temp is ~50-55 degrees and I run 130 degrees at 3/4 throttle with a CDI A-4 prop with a 13,000 lb 35' Ericson.

John M.
  #5   IP: 207.77.99.199
Old 10-15-2004, 07:31 AM
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the responses - mine is a raw water system. I've replaced the inlet side hoses - but will do the manifold flush as my next step - along with outlet hose replacement (something I've been putting off). Will report on outcome in due course.