Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #11   IP: 173.20.99.40
Old 03-15-2011, 04:31 PM

Here's the latest on my endless starting problem....

I did another compression test: #1:85; #2:65; #3:85; #4:70.

I also check the spark at each plug as per Dave Neptune's directions, and they all appeared to have fire. While check #3, I felt a nice jolt of 12 volt running through the head.

I got her running on three different occasions for approximately 5-6 seconds, and then she quit, as though fuel starved. Working the throttle did nothing. I got her started using starting fluid on one of those occasions, but then she died.

Fuel puddles in the bottom of the carb after a few seconds of cranking, so the fuel pump would seem to be operating properly. Also, fuel would seem to be getting through the carb (I think).

I'm wondering if the problem could be as simple as bad fuel. However, I've changed it twice, and the interior of the tank appeared to be clean. Also, she doesn't start with starting fluid (except for one instance).

One last potential clue.... After trying and failing to get her started, she sometimes makes a strange racket -- like a clicking -- while the starter is attempting to turn her over. She doesn't make this noise at the beginning of the attempt, only at the end -- after about ten seconds of cranking....

Whoever figures out this mystery gets to date my wife. She's 45, pretty, good legs, great attitude.... Just trying to keep you all motivated!

Last edited by sailhog; 03-15-2011 at 04:41 PM. Reason: forgotten clue