Return to the home page...

Go Back   Moyer Marine Atomic 4 Community - Home of the Afourians > Discussion Topics > Fuel System

#26   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 07-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
In order of importance:
  1. Depending on their tone, tell the neighbors thanks but no thanks (really toned down from what I first typed). Besides, if their boats are diesels, they stink. Don't they have bilges to clean in consideration of their neighbors within smelling distance?
  2. The only way to really know if the crud is resolved is to remove the tank, cut it open and get right down in there. Anything less is blind faith.
  3. Emptying the tank: here is where an electric fuel pump pays dividends. Your situation is complicated by a clogged pickup. With 4 gallons present you're looking at an additional 30 lbs., not an unmanageable weight during tank removal in my estimation. Adding fuel in a soak attempt risks more weight during removal if the soak is unsuccessful and the pickup remains clogged.
You're going through the most difficult part right now, the decision making. Once decided you can get into the logistics of making it happen.

Here's the trade-off:
Removing the tank and cutting it open or replacing it is a lot of work but gives you a complete, pristine repair. Leaving the tank in place and soaking is less work and might do the trick but the uncertainty lingers. It's your choice, not mine and not those nosy neighbors'.

P.S.
Given this and my previous post in this thread, can you tell who I'm listening to in my headset??
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
  #27   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 07-29-2012, 11:50 AM

car talk?

the woman who bought you lunch?
  #28   IP: 24.152.131.155
Old 07-29-2012, 12:03 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Slowhand, Blind Faith . . .

I'm in a Clapton mood this morning. He's had many styles over a 45+ year career but the apex for me was in Hartford Connecticut in 1985. That was the last engagement before retiring his legendary Fender Stratocaster "Blackie" due to neck issues. It was later bought by Hard Rock Cafe' for nearly a half million dollars. Also playing in that engagement was bassist Don "Duck" Dunn, recently deceased and guitarist Tim Renwick who plays for Pink Floyd, has for decades.

Judging by his appearance in this video it's pretty recent and has the style of Clapton I really liked.

edit:
Same keyboard player in the recent video as the 1985 tour too, Chris Stainton

Not intended as a hijack Keith, I thought I'd provide a musical interlude while you decide
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 07-29-2012 at 12:38 PM.
  #29   IP: 184.0.105.143
Old 07-29-2012, 12:08 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithems View Post
car talk?

the woman who bought you lunch?
Easy boy... easy

'Lone Ranger'

1978 RANGER 30
  #30   IP: 76.180.1.249
Old 07-29-2012, 11:05 PM

a good day!

i'n so totally tired of playing mechanic on da boat on a nice warm day -- i want to sail!!!

probably mentioned that last nite i went out 5-6 times with the a-4 running well and returned with my johnson 9.9 cuz the a-4 had quit.

so today...having thought it over...i went to west marine and bought their 3 gal outboard tank for $65.

let me tell you -- the best $ i ever spent! first, jeff. the engine guru there...was very helpful -- he told me that my tank, being aluminum, is likely just dirty, not rotted. and he told me that i can open the port where the fuel quantity sender is located, and pump out the gunk. and likely i'll get most out, since i can pump to the bottom, whereas the pick up tube only goes within an inch or so of the bottom.

and yes -- i know for sure it is a tank / contamination problem. i hooked up the outboard tank [with fresh fuel] to my a4, and she purred like a kitten. my first "normal" sail in a year! [meaning start a4, leave dock, raise sails, stop a4, enjoy the silence, sail, then bring in headsail, start a4, lower and secure main, return to dock, stop a4, thank g-d. ]

so yes, she runs just fine with the new fuel in the new outboard tank..

i just wanted a normal sail. me so happy!

next week i'll try to pump out the main tank and see if that helps; if not, i'll replace it.

and yes there are other details, which i'll discuss in future posts -- it's always something -- but for now...so glad and thankful!
  #31   IP: 65.95.196.168
Old 07-30-2012, 02:27 PM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Yeah, you and I were typing at the same time. Call me Slowhand.

Ask my opinion on what should be done and you'll get an extreme response every time, I admit it. If I can't afford a new boat then I'll be satisfied with an old boat with all new stuff, not much difference in reliability.

Except for the A-4 of course. She's my girl . . . .

As for new stuff, here are some examples:
  • Even with a smooth running engine I replaced the wiring, control panel, fuel system (everything except the tank) and exhaust up to and including the waterlift. My key switch is a regularly replaced item, every 2 - 3 years.
  • My mast lighting didn't work. My solution was to remove the mast for 3 months and refurb. The only thing original is the extrusion itself. New wiring, fittings, paint, standing and running rigging, spreaders, antennae, lighting and added radar at the same time.
  • Same with plumbing, electrical, cushions, windows, interior finishes, exterior finishes, you name it.
And so on. Everything is less than 5 years old and functions like a boat less than 5 years old. It works for me.

I am a bit like Neil in that regard...

...I have had to forgo this seasons sailing in order to finish work I started on my fuel system which has been rebuilt in it's entirety from the carb to the fuel fill inlet fitting;

1.) old system showing monel tank with 1960's features no longer allowed under Coast Guard/ABYC regs' - ie. drain valve in bottom - ends riveted contstruction;

2.) new Moller poly tank with home made fibreglass/aluminum mounting bracket - tank can be quickly disconnected and moved to access the stuffing box below;

3&4.) electric solenoid actuated fuel control that allows switching between main and reserve tank (when installed) and bypass of solenoid in the event of failure of the valve.

Attached Images

Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 07-30-2012 at 03:00 PM.
  #32   IP: 193.253.220.149
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 AM
Afourian MVP

aluminum fuel tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithems View Post
jeff. the engine guru there...was very helpful -- he told me that my tank, being aluminum, is likely just dirty, not rotted. and he told me that i can open the port where the fuel quantity sender is located, and pump out the gunk.
With all due respect to Jeff, an aluminum tank of uncertain age is very susceptible to degradation and could, in bad cases, lose its integrity. The problem is standing water, whether it be on the outside or INSIDE of the tank (condensation on the tank walls or water settling to the bottom). The aluminum corrodes and could eventually develop pinhole leaks (or worse).

Been there, done that.

It is up to you to verify the condition of your tank and I would kindly suggest that even if Jeff had reassuring words, we are all dealing with gasoline and it behooves us to be very security oriented.

I know I'm preaching here but we should all take our fuel tanks seriously. My instincts tell me you should either replace your tank or make your best effort to verify its condition.

I will now step down from my soap box.

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

Tags
fuel, pump, rebuild