• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

Don,

I learned from the P.O. that my boat originally had the stainless water lift, but the Vetus has been in at least 20 years. I have the 'leveling' wood also, but my muffler just sits on it. I suspect the OEM stainless muffler may have been mounted there, but I think you'll find the stiff hoses are making the plastic muffler appear to be attached...although someone may have secured it with adhesive to the wood (4200, 5200??)

I would get the hoses off of it, and see if you can remove it...I would not count on the muffler itself being clogged enough to cause a big issue, but it may be a contributor. I didn't have tons of debris, but some was rattling around in there.

When you look at the exhaust hose (near the muffler as it heads off behind the stove) how does it look? Mine had the wires popping out (it was original 1977 hose!)
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• dbschulz
      • Aug 2010

Not the Exhaust

The exhaust hot section needs to be replaced due to age, but there was no blockage and the wet section hose is in good shape as far as I could look into it.

I did check the shaft/prop for fouling a week or so back and it was clear.

Received an assortment of gaskets and hot section parts from MMI, so new plan, after replacing hot section, will be to remove and clean the carburetor, recheck fuel tank vent and pick up tube strainer.

Not knowing the age of the fuel lines I will likely replace all of it from the tank to carb.

Thanks for all the suggestions. No doubt it will be running in tip-top shape soon.
      -Don
      "Vahevala"
      1980 C30, #1811

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Don,
        I am not an expert on anything, but if you want some hot section ideas, check out my thread from when I did mine on my C-30 in 2009 and also Neil's discussion about hot exhausts in general

My C-30 hot section thread - http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2974

Neil's thread - http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3995
        -Shawn
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• smosher
          Afourian MVP
          • Jun 2006

I ordered the flange and water injection fitting from Moyer. Measured the
          old hot section and went to the local supply house and bought the
          pieces. I think all together I paid less then $125 and that includes new hoses and clamps.

Steve

Comment

• dbschulz
            • Aug 2010

Thanks for the threads!

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
            Don,
            I am not an expert on anything, but if you want some hot section ideas, check out my thread from when I did mine on my C-30 in 2009 and also Neil's discussion about hot exhausts in general

My C-30 hot section thread - http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2974

Neil's thread - http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3995
            Shawn - Thanks for the threads...I see you've been down the same road too!

I had a similar vision to your new hot section, but for some reason I have less headroom than you do. That said I will be lucky to use a 1" to 2" nipple between the first two elbows. My white-square-fiberglass-water-lift sits several inches higher than your Vetus so have several lengths of pipe to test fit from the last elbow to the water-lift.

I didn't know 6" was the preferred distance for the water mixer from the muffler--the old section only had about 3"-4"...thanks for that piece of info!

As mentioned in Neil's thread, I wondered about galvanized pipe off gassing in the cabin, but my Lowes & Home Depots had limited black pipe so I have a combination of black & galvanized. I did 'bake' the galvanized pieces on a gas grill at ~500 degrees for ~3hours hoping to reduce the smoking & gassing when installed.

Thanks again for all of your ideas. I'll post some pictures of the finished project.
            -Don
            "Vahevala"
            1980 C30, #1811

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

sweet...keep us posted!
              -Shawn
              sigpic

Comment

• NorfolkRagbagger
                • Sep 2006

Stalling and bogging down?

DB: Had the same problem with mine, same boat and engine except '79. While replacing the ancient fuel filer with a Racor, I found some clear red goo in the fuel, purged the tank (just till goo was gone), then noticed the electric fuel pump came off The Mayflower. Replaced that (and other items - found engine was frozen, long story, now unfrozen)) now, with the new fuel pump and cleaned up carb, it starts is 3-4 seconds, doesn't stall, runs like it never did in previous 4 years. Don't make the problem complicated - if the fuel pump looks like it's corroded and you don't know how old it is, it may be the problem.You symptoms are the same as mine were, and the fuel pump was a difference in light and day. The Catalina fuel pump from Moyer was plug-n-play, and all is well (except for reverse gear..........)

Comment

• rheaton
                  • Aug 2005

Be sure you clean that grill.

Comment

• dbschulz
                    • Aug 2010

Next...

It was a tight fit but the new exhaust 'plumbing' is installed and now have a dry engine compartment!

Also found fuel line clamps to be a bit loose and air pockets in the see-through fuel filters. tightened clamps and repositioned filters to keep any air bubbles at the inlet end of filter.

Before I started in on the carburetor, a dock neighbor stopped by to see what I've been working on and gave a new perspective to the engine cutting out in gear. He said it sounded like a fast shut down and not bogging down as I interpretted. I put it in gear at the dock and noticed the head became very hot, but both the thermostat housing and exhaust manifold were cool to touch, then it died after about 10 minutes.

Removed the thermostat, restarted and put in gear at the dock for a good 20-30 minutes before she died...put it in nuetral, turned the key and fired right back up again. During the 20 min run time I clamped the bypass hose for a short time to see if it would flush any blockage and the head seemed to not get as hot.

I am going to test the thermostat 'opening' temperature next, then open the carburetor main passage plug to make sure it is clean.

Appreciate your thoughts on what to do next.
                    -Don
                    "Vahevala"
                    1980 C30, #1811

Comment

• jimesh
                      • Aug 2006

Fuel starvation?

Your symptom sure sounds to me as though your engine is being starved for fuel. There's enough trickling through in idle, but not nearly enough when under load. In gear it takes a little while to run down what you may have accumulated in the carb float bowl during idle. Given that the problem came on recently after a period of good running I'd really suspect something clogging up the lines, filters or jets.

Comment

• dbschulz
                        • Aug 2010

Latest Update...

Pulled carb off last weekend & took home for disassembly & cleaning. Did find some small black particles in the float bowl, so assume the fuel line is at fault & should be replaced.

Couldn't wait until the weekend so hurried to the boat last night to put the carb back on before dark, flushed fuel line, primed carb & she started right up. At the dock, ran in forward gear for 15 minutes at 1/3 throttle. Ran smooth & throttle was explosive in throttle range. It was too dark to go out for a test run, but I have high hopes for this weekend (even though it's supposed to rain).

The thermostat cleaned up nicely after soaking in vinegar for a few hours & passed the stove top test. Next step will be an acid flush.

This forum has a great wealth of knowledge that saves us new folks much troubleshooting time & parts headaches.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions!
                        -Don
                        "Vahevala"
                        1980 C30, #1811

Comment

• sastanley
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2008

Don, Sounds great. a good running motor will brighten even the rainiest weekend!
                          -Shawn
                          sigpic

Comment

• dbschulz
                            • Aug 2010

Update: Running Good...I Think

A4 started right up Sat. morning, yet died on first outing but started right back up. Sailed for a few hours, started great & ran smoother than ever before with no problems getting back to dock. Did the same motor out & back two more times & she ran fine on all trips!
                            -Don
                            "Vahevala"
                            1980 C30, #1811

Comment

• ArtJ
                              • Sep 2009

I have been fighting carburetor blockage for a good part of this season.

I found black particles, pepper sized in the fuel tank. I drained the tank
                              and refilled. I am still not sure the problem is resolved.

I would make draining and cleaning the tank a part of replacing hoses.

Good Luck.

PS a help is having a fuel pressure gauge mounted nearest the carb
                              so that you can tell if you have pressure to the carb. It helps a lot
                              in sorting out where the problem is or is not

Art

Comment

• dbschulz
                                • Aug 2010

Fuel Particles

ArtJ,

I didn't notice any particles in the tank, but there were several pepper sized black pieces in the carb float bowl that I assumed was fuel hose lining disintegrating. I hope to locate a smaller fuel tank to replace the 20 gal OEM.

What are your thoughts on a automotive fuel pressure gauge and is the gauge mounted permanently or just for troubleshooting? Although I have a Facet elec pump, I don't know how old it is and the exterior is showing corrosion.

Thanks
                                -Don
                                "Vahevala"
                                1980 C30, #1811

Comment

Working...
                                X