• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 67c&ccorv
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
    Yeah, you and I were typing at the same time. Call me Slowhand.

Ask my opinion on what should be done and you'll get an extreme response every time, I admit it. If I can't afford a new boat then I'll be satisfied with an old boat with all new stuff, not much difference in reliability.

Except for the A-4 of course. She's my girl . . . .

As for new stuff, here are some examples:
    • Even with a smooth running engine I replaced the wiring, control panel, fuel system (everything except the tank) and exhaust up to and including the waterlift. My key switch is a regularly replaced item, every 2 - 3 years.
    • My mast lighting didn't work. My solution was to remove the mast for 3 months and refurb. The only thing original is the extrusion itself. New wiring, fittings, paint, standing and running rigging, spreaders, antennae, lighting and added radar at the same time.
    • Same with plumbing, electrical, cushions, windows, interior finishes, exterior finishes, you name it.

And so on. Everything is less than 5 years old and functions like a boat less than 5 years old. It works for me.

I am a bit like Neil in that regard...

...I have had to forgo this seasons sailing in order to finish work I started on my fuel system which has been rebuilt in it's entirety from the carb to the fuel fill inlet fitting;

1.) old system showing monel tank with 1960's features no longer allowed under Coast Guard/ABYC regs' - ie. drain valve in bottom - ends riveted contstruction;

2.) new Moller poly tank with home made fibreglass/aluminum mounting bracket - tank can be quickly disconnected and moved to access the stuffing box below;

3&4.) electric solenoid actuated fuel control that allows switching between main and reserve tank (when installed) and bypass of solenoid in the event of failure of the valve.

Attached Files
    Last edited by 67c&ccorv; 07-30-2012, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Kelly
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2004

aluminum fuel tanks

Originally posted by keithems View Post
      jeff. the engine guru there...was very helpful -- he told me that my tank, being aluminum, is likely just dirty, not rotted. and he told me that i can open the port where the fuel quantity sender is located, and pump out the gunk.
      With all due respect to Jeff, an aluminum tank of uncertain age is very susceptible to degradation and could, in bad cases, lose its integrity. The problem is standing water, whether it be on the outside or INSIDE of the tank (condensation on the tank walls or water settling to the bottom). The aluminum corrodes and could eventually develop pinhole leaks (or worse).

Been there, done that.

It is up to you to verify the condition of your tank and I would kindly suggest that even if Jeff had reassuring words, we are all dealing with gasoline and it behooves us to be very security oriented.

I know I'm preaching here but we should all take our fuel tanks seriously. My instincts tell me you should either replace your tank or make your best effort to verify its condition.

I will now step down from my soap box.
      Kelly

1964 Cheoy Lee Bermuda Ketch, Wind and Atomic powered

sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X