• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CesarH
    Frequent Contributor
    • Jan 2021

CesarH

Yo Danpat,

Greetings! I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I have a home in Heron, MT just 35 miles away from Sandpoint. My daughter has a Catalina 30 that she bought in Sagle, Id about three years ago with a torn apart A-4. It was weak when she got it but has served her for the last three years. Anyway, that engine is now in my living room getting torn apart for a rebuild. if your engine is still available I would certainly come and take it off your hands. Please give a holler. Cesar H 406-210-7146

Comment

• danpat
      • Jan 2021

Cesar - sent you a text. The engine came out of a boat in Hope, ID - if I'd known it was beyond my capabilities earlier, I could've saved you 10 miles of that drive.

Comment

• danpat
        • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
        seems like the head froze...
        coming back on previous pictures, there may be something else. A close-up would be necessary...

If that is confirmed, still a lot of valuable parts on that block...
        Yep, I think you're right - took a closer look, that's another crack. Welp, I'm glad I didn't rush ahead and order a bunch of parts from Moyer before I pulled the pin on this project. Hopefully Cesar will be able to make use of the recoverable parts.

My next job is to locate some nice compact ballast to replace the engine weight. With an outboard on the boat, the interior has gained a nice bit of extra storage space, but is currently riding a bit high on the water.

Comment

• edwardc
          Afourian MVP
          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by danpat View Post
          ...My next job is to locate some nice compact ballast to replace the engine weight. ...
          Sounds like the perfect place for a watermaker and a large lithium Iron Phosphate battery bank to support it!
          @(^.^)@ Ed
          1977 Pearson P-323 "Dolce Vita"
          with rebuilt Atomic-4

sigpic

Comment

• Surcouf
            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
            • May 2018

So it took me some time... but I found it!!

LiveloveLife: check his post #93, for potential block repair... I would recommend you spend a couple beers reading LaunchPad McQ thread, as it is very instructive (and even more rare, updated for success 2 years later (only a few days ago)), and contact him: through his shop, you could have an idea of the cost of the block repair. This engine is a never-saw-salted water, so 0 corrosion, may be worth a potential unorthodox repair. The head is shot and much cheaper to replace.
            Last edited by Surcouf; 02-05-2021, 11:45 AM.
            Surcouf
            A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• danpat
              • Jan 2021

Originally posted by edwardc View Post
              Sounds like the perfect place for a watermaker and a large lithium Iron Phosphate battery bank to support it!
              Being a freshwater boat on a landlocked lake, a watermaker isn't all that necessary :-)

The boat is actually going up for sale soon - we've bought a larger 35' boat we're properly refitting. I was hoping to get the A-4 running on this boat, then sell the outboard for a bit of extra cash. But alas....

Comment

• danpat
                • Jan 2021

Originally posted by Surcouf View Post
                So it took me some time... but I found it!!

LiveloveLife: check his post #93, for potential block repair... I would recommend you spend a couple beers reading LaunchPad McQ thread, as it is very instructive (and even more rare, updated for success 2 years later (only a few days ago)), and contact him: through his shop, you could have an idea of the cost of the block repair. This engine is a never-saw-salted water, so 0 corrosion, may be worth a potential unorthodox repair. The head is shot and much cheaper to replace.
                Ha, I've seen that thread - but I know when to cut my losses :-)

The block crack does look like a candidate for some metal stitching, which actually isn't all that difficult to do and doesn't need much in the way of fancy tools. Pre-small-children me would definitely have taken that on.

Comment

• ronstory
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Feb 2016

I love it...

Whew! I was getting concerned that I would need to drive the 7 hours to pick up the motor. With Cesar so close, another A4 finds a welcoming home.
                  Attached Files
                  Thanks,
                  Ron
                  Portland, OR

Comment

• CesarH
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Jan 2021

Free non-running A-4

Dear Sir,

Sent a response to your offer a couple of days ago. You might have missed it maybe because I labeled it Dan Pat but I see that you must be Ron Story, or that is your sign-on. My mistake if so. Anyway, I have a place in Heron, MT about 35 miles east of Sandpoint, and could / would easily take this A-4 off of your hands. My daughter has a 30-Catalina that has an A-4 we are in the process of tearing apart to rebuild, and possibly some parts off your engine would be useful. Give a holler if the engine is still available and you can be rid of it. Thank you. Cesar Hernandez 406-210-7146

Comment

• danpat
                      • Jan 2021

Cesar swung by today (in lovely sunny wind-chill-down-to-20-below weather) and picked up the engine. I have my garage space, and the engine is going to a good home. All's well that ends well.

Comment

Working...
                      X