View Single Post
  #1   IP: 76.14.181.232
Old 01-06-2021, 11:51 PM

Another stalling problem

I finally got down to my boat and put your advice to task by installing a new coil and then a new single wire Facet fuel pump and oil safety switch supplied, thankfully, with instructions from Moyer M. I have tried all combos of new and old pumps with new and old coils (except jumping past the o.s.s. on the Facet pump) with pretty similar results: runs for 5 or less min. then stops. From the see-thru filter the fuel pumps seem to pump well but weaken until it does not fill the filter above in or out ports (I broke the plastic window on my cheapo in-line fuel gauge) The last time I ran the engine, I was able to get a 13.94 volts from pos. terminal on coil to head bolt ground within a minute of start. Im confident that my wiring of the a4 is good except for the following. I have a prestolite 3alk 6204 35 amp alternator that a week ago was tested by a alternator shop and was good. My externally mounted regulator (vsh 6201 a) has a red wire from the regulator that was was mounted to the + on coil when I bought the engine. The alt. shop guy said it might go to the o.s.s. When I got engine it had no Oil safety switch and no instruments/ purple primary ig. wire. My guestion; is this an exciter and does it go to + on coil along with my purple primary ignition wire? Can this configuration cause my problems? Other points:starts great cold engine, E.I. elec.coolant pump, no house draws(lites etc.) good batteries on charger. Sorry this came out a lot longer than I expected and I thank you for your time and effort.