View Single Post
  #6   IP: 209.6.152.28
Old 06-21-2022, 07:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Update: resolved.

Skip to learnings if you are that guy....

1. Main passage plug on carb- Bone Dry
2. Main passage fuel flow with jumped Facet pump- Nothing
3. Main feed from fuel filter to Facet Inlet with jumped Facet pump- Nothing
4. Effect of removing gas fill cap and also checking vent- None
5. Removed all Facet and pressure gauge lines and reclamped- nothing
6. Smelled oil for gasoline- nothing
6.5 About to remove fuel filter...deferred..
7. Blow through open line at fuel filter through to tank, main fuel valve open- could sense pressure
8. Suction pressure through open line at fuel filter, main fuel valve open- THINGS GOT INTERESTING QUICKLY.
-Created an uncontrolled siphon which I stopped by closing main fuel valve. Was ready with pig rags and container...still a very sporty moment.
-Noticed during siphon event that when I held fuel line from filter up, FUEL SPILLED OUT OF THE TOP OF THE RACOR FILTER WHERE IT MEETS THE MOUNTING BASE. LEAK ACCOMPANIED BY GURGLING NOISE.

The Racor Filter had become LOOSE, (creating a pressure failure but no observable leak) and I could turn filter with lightest finger pressure. I tightened the filter with wrench. Attached all hoses, tightened clamps. Cleaned up, vented, and ran blower for a while.

Jumped Facet pump, positive pressure on fuel pressure gauge.

Proceeded to engine start-up. Engine started on first crank. Idled like and champ. No evidence of fuel leaks. Pressure gauge steady around 5 psi. Thank you for the help.

Learnings
1. Check tighteness of Racor filter even if not changing.
2. Plan to add fuel hose and a new Facet pump to my engine kit onboard.
3. Need a better method for suction pressure testing fuel system. Unleaded gas and Sea Foam don't suit my palate. Perhaps squeeze bulb.
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimBSmith For This Useful Post:
edwardc (06-22-2022), GregH (06-22-2022), sastanley (06-22-2022), Surcouf (06-22-2022)