View Single Post
  #1   IP: 97.121.151.224
Old 06-18-2022, 05:38 PM

Engine won't start-No fuel in bottom of carb

New to me engine that I have seen run before we pulled it and moved it to a new boat. Good compression on all cylinders (70 psi), good spark from coil, OK spark on all spark plugs but I am not 100% sure what that should look like. The plugs are new as of a couple months ago. Proper gap is set on the plugs. Electronic ignition but that is from the "old" engine, not the new to me one. I could change out the distributor to the new one but it has points...

Fuel filling the bowl on the carb but the bottom of the carb is dry after turning over way to many times. This has been the case with both carbs (old and new engine). I torn down one of the carbs per the Moyer Manuel, cleaned everything and reassembled. Turned the engine over and still no fuel in the carb. Choke it closed and throttle wide open, middle of the road, etc... Tried turning it over with the spark arrestor off and felt suction. Tried spraying starter fluid into the carb and tried to start it, nothing. Put a tablespoon or so of gas in the bottom of the carb, put the spark arrestor back on, closed the choke and got a backfire but then nothing.

Drained the carb from the carb drain (older 4 bolt carb) and the fuel looked good, nothing in it, clean, etc..

Mechanical fuel pump but when we start from an empty carb it only takes 1-2 second before the bowl fill up. I can tell the fuel flow through a clear fuel filter.

Pull the carb today again (it went in this morning after the rebuild last night) and the main jet looks clean.

Can my issues be anyplace but the carb?
The three things I can think of that would stop fuel from being in the bottom of the carb would be:
1) No suction, which I have
2) Plugged main jet, which I have cleaned
3) Plugged carb nozzle, I cleaned this last night but maybe not as well as the main jet.
Anything else? I guess a clog between the main jet and the carb nozzle maybe but I sprayed the crap out of it with carb cleaner.

Other things I checked today, did these one at a time.
Confirmed timing was good, swapped distributor caps, but neither is new.
Swapped rotor, one is new on it older.

Open to anything else I should try here. I am on the hard the the boat is tilted about 5 degrees to starboard.