Thread: ACID FLUSH
View Single Post
  #2   IP: 99.46.179.179
Old 06-14-2022, 07:53 PM

Flush Help Please

Hello everyone.
I have been reading and enjoying all the posts and information posted.
I am looking for some help if anyone has any advice.
I read through the whole Flushing thread a couple times but I am still a bit timid. Im a sailor not a mechanic.
Anyway;

I want to do a flush of my engine. I run it in the Sf Bay and have not flushed it once in the past year.
I thought a flushing meant connecting a fresh water hose, forward of the raw water intake and behind the water pump. I have a Tee connection with two ball joints.
I would turn on the engine with the raw water open and then open the valve for the fresh water. I would want to close the raw water valve after a few minutes and have only the fresh water pumping through. I would keep this configuration for a few minutes and then open the raw water again, close the fresh water and then shut off the engine.
This is what I thought a flush was. Was I incorrect?
It sounds like a good way to help prevent corrosion if i can do it after every couple of sailing trips.
But after reading all the threads I have not seen one mention about my concept of flushing my engine.
The threads all mention an Acid flush with Muriatic acid. I am not against this idea at all and it sounds good. The pressure flush, I'm not to keen on. Again im not a mechanic and I don't want to do the wrong thing or strip something.

Here are my actual questions for anyone with knowledge or experience.

1.Can I do the Acid flush and then the Fresh water flush that I mentioned earlier?

2.Is the Freshwater flush I mentioned even a thing? if so; Is the process i mentioned earlier acceptable?

3. For the acid flush; if I put a hose from the Tee to the mixture bucket, forward the Raw water inlet, with the raw water valve shut. Can I just turn the engine on? Will that draw the Acid mix from the bucket? Or will the mixture need to be forced in to the block? or the raw water open the whole time? Im worried that any running of the engine without water could be detrimental.

The Fresh water flushing I mentioned seems like a good concept and it can be done as often as desired because it seems so simple (hook up a hose, close one ball valve and open another). As opposed to a Forced Flush or Acid flush which take tools and a better confidence than I have.

Sorry for this being so long and my lack of experience (im sure ive used the wrong terms somewhere).
But thank you to everyone that was able to read all the way through and contribute.
I really appreciate it.
looking forward to your feedback

Fair winds!