View Single Post
  #1   IP: 173.85.106.132
Old 06-29-2017, 04:04 PM

Engine won't start, 3 cylinders no compression

Howdy

Wife and I fulfilled our long time dream of buying a sailboat. 27' Ericson 1974. When we came to look at it, the po had the carb in a bag and a MMI rebuild kit in his hand. I told him I'd fix the carb in exchange for the dinghy and it was a deal. I had never heard of the A4 engine, but being a former nuke submarine mechanic, I figured I could fix this... the next day we motored to Everett!

That was last fall. Shortly after we bought her, I developed a back problem (from 15 years of firefighting) and I was in pain all winter. I neglected the boat over the winter We had a heater running but no other winterizing done.

Surgery in April was a success, and after feeling well enough, I went down to start the engine; it would not start. I began haphazardly troubleshooting, using this forum and the MMI S&O manual. I've read posts for hours, and I think I have it narrowed down.

Engine #190852 UJ, 5101, Carb 68, freshwater cooling system, has cabin heater run off engine (raw water i think), exhaust straight down to water lift muffler (sketch A in S&O manual)

I did full troubleshooting of ignition, I get spark between points. replaced cap, rotor, condensor, wires, coil...

Pulled carb again. Nasty brownish/white sludge in float chamber. Cleaned carb. Drained fuel tank, added fresh fuel with MMO, checked Racor filter, looked clean. (replaced last fall) . Checked sediment bowl on fuel pump. clean fuel.

I had tried starting multiple times during all this troubleshooting. I then read the advice to CLOSE THE SEAWATER VALVE. ugh. Well as I checked it shut, the valve broke and now minor flooding in engine room!

Temporary repair to valve worked (another story) and so now I am hauling out next week to fix thru hull valve. But back to the engine...

With flame arrestor removed, I tried to start engine. A liquid like brownish thin gravy filled the air intake bowl under the choke. I kept sopping it up hoping it would clear. Then a big gurgle and about a cup of liquid appeared there. (not fuel).

Reading on, and discovering its probably water, I start that path of troubleshooting. Compression in cyl 4, none in 1, 2, or 3. Valves stuck? I poured a little MMO in each and came home last night dejected.

Fearing I could cause more harm by continuing, I am humbly asking for advice. I have learned a lot from you all and really appreciate this community.

Thanks

Brent W
S/V Maren
Everett WA

Name:  Maren Engine.jpg
Views: 981
Size:  28.9 KB