View Single Post
  #17   IP: 69.11.175.242
Old 05-15-2015, 12:07 PM

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement:

"Don't think it has anything to do with the OPSS. The carb bowel should be full of fuel from the last run and give ~45 seconds of run time even if the OPSS is not functioning at all"

When we launched the boat I had started the engine the night before, then forgot to open the fuel petcock after the boat was launched. It started right up at the dock, but of course died a minute later. This evidence suggests that if there's gas in the bowl, it starts, regardless of the OPSS. I think that the hard starting must be due to gas leaving the bowl somehow. If it were a carb issue it would be hard to start after the engine cools down completely, but this engine is hard to start only after sitting for more than a couple of days.

If we buy the idea that lack of fuel in the bowl is the culprit, then we must assume that fuel is leaving either by leak or by evaporation. For fuel to leak out of the bowl, wouldn't the leak have to be in the bowl itself? Can fuel leak back from the bowl through the fuel line? I would think that this would be impossible, unless it's somehow being siphoned out.
If it's evaporation, why doesn't everyone have this issue?

Could I check the theory by removing the plug for the bowl and seeing how much fuel drains out?