View Single Post
  #6   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 05-14-2015, 06:27 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
As the engine sits some of the fuel will evaporate, a bunch at first due to the heat in the engine dissipating and will continue when the engine cools. An updraft carb is far more susceptible to lean starting causing longer cranking times. This is a good thing as it allows for the oil pump to get some oil where it needs to be before igniting into life.

Yes a really lean idle will take longer and that to is still a good thing.

The fuel lines draining back and or the "OPSS" needing a few more spins to "close" will also add time for the "start". I consider this all good. Many "hot rods" with really powerful engines have a start switch and ignition switch to do the same thing. Some engine we'll crank for 15~20 seconds before hitting the ignition switch~this just to be sure oil is in the right places~a good thing!

Any time I hear someone mention that there A-4 instantly starts I think the idle is way to rich or the floats are way to "high", and wait to hear of plug fouling. Any engine with an updraft carb (no acceleration pump) SHOULD take a few more turns to get fuel into the combustion chambers to get it lit!

Dave Neptune