View Single Post
  #20   IP: 165.225.20.168
Old 12-17-2021, 02:06 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Ross View Post
Thanks for y'all's input. I'm making headway.

I'm looking at my valves now that I've cleaned things up and I don't get the warm fuzzy feeling that they're seating correctly. There is definitely buildup visible when they raise and I'm afraid to touch them because of all the warnings about being careful scraping near them.

Any thoughts on what to do here to make sure there's a good seal and not too much buildup?
If you believe your valves are not seating properly, it is a no brainer: take them out!!! you have done 95% of the job here, just finish it by removing the valves. It is not that complicated: once out, you will be able to clean the buildup on those valves in no time. Then a quick lap on the seat, and you will be able to eliminate the valves as a source of the lack of compression. just be thorough, block the 2 holes in the "valve compartment" to prevent pieces from falling in the oil sump, and catch all lapping compound etc..
There are a few tricks to be able to do a valve removal in 10 minutes rather than 3 hours, do not ask me how I know this (https://www.moyermarineforum.com/for...t=11241&page=3)

Good luck. By the way, it is a very satisfaying job to do...