View Single Post
  #9   IP: 155.186.122.195
Old 03-02-2021, 10:41 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
whoa a little

When suggesting a lube I meant any one of those or basically any spray lube. Also by "cranking" I meant with the starter motor and the ignition off as well as the water valve closed.

Now hearing a tapping when running is good as it means the valve is starting to drop back into contact with the cam IE movement. The valve can stick anywhere on the way down to the seat so the cam can push it a bit unless it is stuck at the very top. If the valve is actually stuck in the middle somewhere and I mean stuck the valve will bend or break. Sounds like you have "motion" so bare with it.

The shaking of the engine when "running" will also help to shake the valve loose as oil is getting to the stem and the valve tappet is now contacting the cam and this motion should increase over a bit of time, patience.

Also flooding the cylinder with oil is a bit much. IE a whole can of spray should last for many many spritzes. It is the spritz that gets on the stem as well as the oil in the fuel when running.

Order: spray a spritz while the engine is cranking on the starter then let it sit for a while, say one spritz every hour or so. Then fire her up to let it shake around and warm up~~then cool crank and spray.

If you don't have a remote start switch get one or make one up, it's a cheap and very handy tool. I mounted one permanently on my engine and I've done so on many others for friends.

Dave Neptune
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Neptune For This Useful Post:
chrisoelder (03-02-2021)