View Single Post
  #4   IP: 100.36.65.17
Old 10-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimBSmith View Post
...Now I recall also reading an old discussion about wrapping stainless pipes in engine environment that said something similar. Do you use a more breathable wrap for your stack? The sticky wraps seem less breathable(more favorable to anaerobic condition) than the cloth wraps with no adhesive...
Yes, I used the cloth/fiberglass wrap that MMI sells. It is held in place with some thin stainless straps.

As for Sch 40 vs 80, I used sch 40. I had some worry at first, but the results have been great. Because we are not talking about high pressures here, sch 80 is probably unnecessary in SS, especially for the couplings. For the pipes and nipples, its maybe another story. In sch 40 pipe, the weakest area is at the threads, as they penetrate through a significant amount of the pipe's wall thickness. All of sch 80's extra thickness goes to increasing the wall thickness at the threads.

For example (and I'm making up these numbers), if threads cut halfway through on sch 40, and sch 80 is twice as thick as sch 40, then sch 80 has three times the wall thickness at the threads!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edwardc For This Useful Post:
Peter (10-24-2020), romantic comedy (10-24-2020), TimBSmith (10-24-2020)