View Single Post
  #19   IP: 73.208.164.69
Old 09-12-2020, 03:45 PM
Afourian MVP

Well, first of all your not going to run 10-20 sec on starter fluid. You would expect a couple of cylinders firing indicating "spark". so I think your close to resolving your problem.

Relative to tank cleaning I went thru this whole thought process about 5yrs ago. I have a 1966 Morgan 34 with original engine and monel tank with direct fill from the cockpit. Had some running problems and used a bright inspection light into the tank and was surprised by amount of black gunk on bottom. I had changed a worn black rubber pick up tube years ago with a fixed cooper one which I think added to the problem especially with ethanol marine gas. to "clean" the tank I jury rigged a cheap electric [$20] fuel pump on a board with extended wires and clamps to one of the batteries. I used inexpensive clear plastic gas resistant hoses for inlet and outlet along with $10 glass filter [little white disposable elements are 40 microns]. I moved the inlet hose around thru the fill whole as best I could and even tied to a stiffer old garden hose to maneuver it around even more. I clogged cleaned & changed elements in the filter multiple times and flushed the tank with the old gas a few times and repeated. I did not want the work invoved with pulling the tank nor did I have a cleaning service option. Worked fine ever since and regularly pump out the bottom gallon or so every season. this might help.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sam For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-12-2020)