View Single Post
  #7   IP: 209.6.133.136
Old 09-07-2020, 04:32 PM
Afourian MVP

Old fuel reply

Thank you for post John.

I pumped all old fuel I could out of the gasoline tank recall it amounted to like 12 or 13 gallons. Filtered much of it while moving to EPA disposal storage containers. Found random bug parts, not much else. The color of the fuel tank fuel was much better than I expected (like fresh). I studied old gasoline and carb implications while contemplating the purchase of this and other A4 powered Pearsons. The marina owner also advised removing the old gasoline.

However, when I removed fuel filter I found in the bowl and filter much more varnishy yellow gasoline that evidenced story of last engine run date over a year ago after being on the hard for 2 years. Replaced filter, bowl, bolt. The bolt and bowl story is epic. Pictures of 3 attempts here..solving for seepage, cross threading error, etc...Old and overtight original bowl and bolt..I learned a lot about thread sealant, tapered threading, and on...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/h2Tcjtf3PLvgqtkn7

Studied best fuel choice and found range of data for lower 1:6? compression cylinders ultimately I refilled with 5 gallons regular unleaded and appropriate level of seafoam additive.

My friend and engine coach is helping amazingly, and this forum is unbelievable. Found Mike in Maine on a Pearson group site and discovered a selection of posts from him on this forum as well. Thankful for all of the wisdom and range of expertise here. While I am angling to check carb bowl with drain bolt, think I am going to use the carb and fuel pump bleeding method where I can screw a fitting into the check bolt threads, use clear tubing and container, jump the fuel pump for 5 minutes or so a couple of times...see what I get. Maybe pull and look at the valve stem accessible from the drain hole. Before pulling carb and cleaning. I will be back a boat tomorrow hunting for bolt location, I have seen hex head bolt and looks like drain bolt will be found directly below that. Access is tough because of Facet pump. May have to unbolt while keeping pump grounded for flush. Wonder if Facet will run if sideways not vertically mounted?

Thanks again. Stay well. Tim
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA