View Single Post
  #5   IP: 209.6.133.136
Old 09-07-2020, 01:29 PM
Afourian MVP

First Start Update

Good Labor Day to you.

Brief update on my startup experience.

Some success through ultimately unable to run engine. Looks like fuel supply issue.

I dialed a friend with great Atomic 4 knowledge to talk me through startup and trouble shooting.

After confirming/modifying my cooling setup and safety preparation I set full choke and feather of throttle. Kept feed hose out of the water pending engine turning over to protect against muffler overflow/backflow.

On first crank from remote starter engine turned over. Turned off cockpit key after brief 30 second run.

Restarted and placed cooling feed hose in trash cash of water. Engine ran for maybe a couple of minutes. Good suction on cooling and evidence of exhaust and water discharge from stern discharge port. Engine soon stalled.

Adjusted choke to half. Restart failed. Adjusted choke to full, little more throttle feather up, restart failed. Used pig rag strip inserted below open choke value to check for gas near carburetor throat. Found some gas. Plugs all clean. Reminded to pull coolant feed from bucket.

Back to full choke. Cranked, would not turn over. Checked for gas, pig rag strips dry. Theory that initial startup was residual MMO combustion from MMO treatment.

Cranked while spraying carburetor cleaner and engine turned over. Back to half choke and crank, nothing. Full choke and crank nothing. Pig rag strips below open choke value reaching toward throttle throat come back dry both times and every future crank.

Theory engine is not getting fuel. Electronic fuel pump generating 3 to 5 psi. Pulled plugs all good, cylinder 3 plug some light residual carb cleaner? Checked all sparks with inline tester. All plugs getting spark.

Next steps removing bowl drain bolt checking for fuel pooled or dry bowl. Will test fuel pump to confirm fuel flow at pump. May remove carburetor and do a good cleaning (According to PO SMosher post on this list in 2008 carb new from Moyer Aug 2008, so that hope is promising for its condition).

Will search the list for fuel supply issues and carb trouble shooting. Watched Moyer video for start. Welcome thoughts. A lot of work to get to this point, encouraged that we did get short period of good sounding running engine with exhaust and water discharge. Now need to follow the evidence of trouble shooting where it leads and let go of some initial hope that we would be steady running today. Embracing the adventure to become more familiar with carb and fuel system, which was on my list anyhow.

Thankful for this forum. Stay well, Tim
1974, Number 572
Boston, MA USA