Thread: Leaking Carb
View Single Post
  #11   IP: 138.163.128.43
Old 08-27-2020, 03:18 PM

Based on Dave's guidance that a leak from the carb main gasket can only come from fuel leaking around the needle seat/float assembly:

Could the needle seat just not be screwed in all the way? I recently had confusion on setting the float parallel by backing out the seat.

Could the needle itself be dropped in upside down? I get turned around every time I put it back together. I'm not sure if you would be able to identify this while running, as it may function well enough when fuel is being sucked through the jets. It would then not make a good seal when shutdown and gravity could cause the bowl to fill up to the main gasket (maybe).

Of course, there could be a fracture somewhere. I think it would have to be in the bowl.

Do you have an electric or mechanical fuel pump? I'm not sure what's inside the electric pumps, but if I understand the mechanical pump correctly fuel shouldn't be able to move through it while shutdown. One of the two valves is always shut, and even if is pressure released through a leak they would both be shut by a spring.

This could also be indicative of a bigger leak in the boat fuel system. Assuming you have a shut off valve immediately downstream of the fuel tank there shouldn't be any fuel leak when shutdown. I know nothing is perfect, but like plugging the top of a straw full of liquid, even removing the carb (creating a large carb leak) should not result in the entire volume of fuel lines leaking out.

-Joe