View Single Post
  #12   IP: 24.152.132.65
Old 05-25-2017, 07:56 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,423 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Simenstad View Post
Neil: I have not calculated the ignition system current--I switched to electronic ignition in 2008. What would be the reason too? Not enough current= weak spark?
The issue with EI and current is there's a maximum, a not to exceed value of 4 amps. Anything above 4 amps and you risk overheating the coil, damaging the internal windings and repeated engine shut downs. Our recommendation is to build in a 15% margin of safety for a max current of 3.4 amps.

For example let's say you have electronic ignition and a coil that measures 3Ω. You know that the engine operates on a 12 volt system so all seems good (12V÷3Ω=4.0 amps). Not so fast. When the engine is running the alternator determines the voltage, usually around 14.2 volts so in reality your amperage is more like 4.7 amps. Oh-oh, trouble ahead. The example doesn't take into account wiring voltage drop but that's supposed to be less than 3% which affects the result by only 1/10th of 1 amp.

If you're above 4 amps, coil failure doesn't happen instantly. It builds up over time and the internal coil damage is cumulative.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others