• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tommysails
    Frequent Contributor
    • Sep 2020

Identifying a Moyer Rebuilt Engine

Hello

I recently purchased a 1973 Pearson 30 with Atomic 4. PO passed away several years ago, and boat has been on the hard for 5+ years. I have zero history on the boat.

I am pulling the motor due to frozen pistons/valves and believe it may be a Moyer rebuild rather than the original. Certainly doesn't look like a 50 y/o engine...
    "MMI" is embossed on exhaust manifold. Can anyone help me identify? And, wondering if there will be a "serial number" or other identifier for the rebuild to get even more info on this motor?

Thanks for any direction!
    Tom
    Attached Files
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

tommysails, first welcome to the MMI Afourian Forum.

That is a good looking motor. Before pulling why not try to get her to spin? Is there water in the oil? It is not uncommon for rings to stick when they have set for 5 years. I would definitely try to break her loose in the boat first. It is not that big of a deal unless the oil pan has a bunch of water in it.

Removing the starter and CAREFULLY prying in BOTH directions on the flywheel may do the trick.

Take a good look at the oil. If it is clear pay attention to the oil level as some water may just be lying in the bottom of the pan.

Add some oil to the cylinders like PB Blaster, Liguid Wrench or MMO. Let it sit for at least 24 hours before attempting the prying or engaging the starter. Sometimes with a fully charged battery a a few clicks of the key asfter sitting in oil will break it loose.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tommysails
      Frequent Contributor
      • Sep 2020

Hi Dave

Thanks for reaching back!

The oil level and clarity actually looks pretty good.

I tried about two weeks of spraying "solution" into the cylinders. First using 50/50 acetone and MMO then using Aerokroil. In the end I broke the pin that the hand crank engages to spin the shaft. Still no budging.

I'm honestly no mechanic so felt it would be best to get it out and to a shop. But if there's an easier way....

tom
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dave Neptune
        • Jan 2007

You can't really generate enough pressure twisting against that pin.

If you can get a piece of flat stock or even angle iron between the flywheel bolts you can give a much bigger twist and even a little shock from light banging. Always go one direction and then the other.

Another much better way is to remove the starter and using the starters hole protected with a block of wood or plastic to protect the hole then you can get a small pry bar against the flywheel teeth and give a twist, again one direction then the other. If you get a little movement it will work loose. This will give you the most leverage by far!!!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• tommysails
          Frequent Contributor
          • Sep 2020

Excellent suggestions! At this point I def got nothing to lose. Will give these a shot. Plus..the aerokroil has had about 4-5 days more time to soak. Who knows!

Comment

• tommysails
            Frequent Contributor
            • Sep 2020

Excellent suggestions! At this point I def got nothing to lose. Will give these a shot. Plus..the aerokroil has had about 4-5 days more time to soak. So..Who knows ... just might get it.

t

Comment

• Mo
              Afourian MVP
              • Jun 2007

Agree completely with Dave. Helped a guy earlier this year to free one up. I didn't get anywhere with the penetrating oil so asked him to pick up some acetone and transmission fluid.

I mixed 1/3 transmission fluid with 2/3 acetone...very light consistency and poured it in the plug holes. NOTE: if you do that take the carb off because it WILL flow into the carb and you will have carb issue when it comes time to start it. I think you said it wasn't started in a couple of years so the fuel, filters and a carb cleaning will be necessary anyway...so take it off.

Put a cup or something underneath where the carb is mounted under the exhaust manifold. Pour you mixture in the top end and wait overnight. Small movement back and forth on the crank and when it starts moving a little bit add a little more of your mixture. Sometimes it will move 1/8 of an inch then go back and forth.

Can be repeated.....oll changes will be required after doing this because acetone and oil are not buddies....we will deal with that when you get it moving and see where you are with it. Looks like a decent engine....hopefully it won't be too bad.

...and welcome to the forum.

Mo
              Mo

"Odyssey"
              1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
              The optimist expects it to change.
              The realist adjusts the sails.
              ...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Comment

• TimBSmith
                Afourian MVP
                • Aug 2020

Is this a tool that can turn the flywheel from the starter side with starter removed?

Welcome to the forum. I am shaking down a 1974 Pearson 30 Atomic 4. What a gift MMI, this forum, its active members, and trove of threads have been. Best with your A4 journey. Welcome chance to exchange Pearson 30 notes.

Question for Dave....

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                You can't really generate enough pressure twisting against that pin.

If you can get a piece of flat stock or even angle iron between the flywheel bolts you can give a much bigger twist and even a little shock from light banging. Always go one direction and then the other.

Another much better way is to remove the starter and using the starters hole protected with a block of wood or plastic to protect the hole then you can get a small pry bar against the flywheel teeth and give a twist

Dave, is that what this tool is used for?

This came with my Pearson 30 Atomic 4 and I wonder what purpose it serves. Thank you. Tim

, again one direction then the other. If you get a little movement it will work loose. This will give you the most leverage by far!!!

Dave Neptune
                Tim Smith
                Oasis
                Pearson 30
                1974, Number 572
                Boston, MA USA

Comment

• Surcouf
                  • May 2018

Originally posted by tommysails View Post
                  Hello

Certainly doesn't look like a 50 y/o engine...
                  Tom

welcome!! This is a very very very good looking engine. Many of us here would dream to have one like this; God bless the PO who got that one overhauled, and kept it this way.
                  Now of course the goal is to get it free. Be patient, try the 1/3 2/3 mix, and let it seat for several weeks if needed, coming regularly to try to move it after having removed the starter. Every minuscule move will help your mix slowly get to the corroded piston surface and will slowly make its way. You will get there!

If the meantime, while you solve the freezing issue, get the MM manual, learn the engine components, get the spare parts required to get it running. 5 years on the hard, you can already start by changing your water pump impeller, service your carburetor, check your fuel tank situation (clean it, along with all fuel lines), get new fuel filter, clean your points (if applicable), get new spark plugs etc etc....
                  This forum is full of people who add at the beginning 0 knowledged of such engines or how to maintain it, and are now fully capable of servicing it, but more important to troubleshoot issues and solve them when sailing, when it becomes a Safety device!!

And again, welcome !!
                  Surcouf
                  A nostalgic PO - Previously "Almost There" - Catalina 27 (1979)

Comment

• tommysails
                    Frequent Contributor
                    • Sep 2020

Originally posted by TimBSmith View Post
                    Welcome to the forum. I am shaking down a 1974 Pearson 30 Atomic 4. What a gift MMI, this forum, its active members, and trove of threads have been. Best with your A4 journey. Welcome chance to exchange Pearson 30 notes.

Question for Dave....
                    Tim that sure looks like the hand crank to spin the shaft on the flywheel. Seats onto pins on the shaft. Should turn the wheel counter clockwise (on mine anyway) I ended up shearing the pins.

Comment

• W2ET
                      Former Admin
                      • Oct 2008

Moyer rebuild?

Well, there are certainly some MMI parts on that engine, but I'm not certain it was an MMI rebuild.

Get the number off the block and give Ken a call with that number, the PO's name and a rough idea of the year it may have been rebuilt, and he should be able to help you.

Bill

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        • Jan 2007

Tim, no that is a starting handle. It will turn the engine in only one direction and once the engine starts the handle is forced away so it does not wind up your arm!

It is the pin that won't absorb enough torque to break stuck rings loose, it takes lots of force in BOTH directions.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• TimBSmith
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Aug 2020

I won't digress from your issues...tried to align with pins early on...didn't work..

Originally posted by tommysails View Post
                          Tim that sure looks like the hand crank to spin the shaft on the flywheel. Seats onto pins on the shaft. Should turn the wheel counter clockwise (on mine anyway) I ended up shearing the pins.
                          Still curious. Pausing inquiry as not to distract from unsticking your beautiful motor. It seems like there are so many stories here of patience, lubrication, and regular focused pressure in both directions paying off. Seems like the our P30's surprisingly have "better" access that some of the other 27 to 30 footers.

Best wishes breaking her free in place. Will be following. Stay well, Tim
                          Tim Smith
                          Oasis
                          Pearson 30
                          1974, Number 572
                          Boston, MA USA

Comment

• TimBSmith
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Aug 2020

Starting handle ok....so I will need to revisit getting it to seat..pausing inquiry.

Originally posted by Dave Neptune View Post
                            Tim, no that is a starting handle. It will turn the engine in only one direction and once the engine starts the handle is forced away so it does not wind up your arm!

It is the pin that won't absorb enough torque to break stuck rings loose, it takes lots of force in BOTH directions.

Dave Neptune
                            Got it. Both of you say it should fit the pins. When I am not on more critical things will see if I can get it to seat at another time.

Thank you. Stay well.

Now sending lubricating thoughts to get this pretty engine unseized....
                            Tim Smith
                            Oasis
                            Pearson 30
                            1974, Number 572
                            Boston, MA USA

Comment

• tommysails
                              Frequent Contributor
                              • Sep 2020

Removed starter last night and using the pry bar in the teeth I can get about 4-5 mm in each direction..back and forth. And, I'm going to rig 2 x 9/16 sockets (longer ones) on the bolts around the flywheel and use a long bar between them to try twisting the wheel as was suggested earlier.

Patience and lubrication..I got all winter I guess

Comment

Working...
                              X