View Single Post
  #2   IP: 167.121.8.92
Old 06-21-2005, 12:01 PM

more 1980 catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered
I have just acquired a 1980 catalina 30 with an A4 engine. It is now in the water, engine worked fine last week. Will not start properly now. Has spark, compression , seems to be getting fuel but will only stay running with starter button engaged. Spark plugs show a carbon fouling. water in carb? how to clearout? help! ps. it took me 2 years to get my mate onboard for this venture (previous experience 10ft dinghy) and kids are now out of college and time for us.
June 21. What A coincidence, I too have just acquired a Catalina 30, 1980. I took ownership two weeks ago. Engine was rebuilt and runs like a top, easy to start etc. I found out the hard way about openning and closing the seacock. Second day on the boat I ran the engine for twenty minutes and forgot to push the choke. After sailing a while the engine would not restart. I thought I probably flooded the engine. I could not get it restarted after trying several times later that day. After cranking several times over the afternoon (with the seacock open) I looked at the number one and two plugs and noticed they were fouled. I then remembered I had left the choke on when the engine was running and probably caused the plugs to foul. The engine never did start. So next weekend I was ready to put in in new plugs and found water in number three and four. After nearly having a heart attack, ( I saw a head gasket in my future!) I pumped the cylinders with the plugs out, dried up the water, put in new plugs in and the engine rumbled to life and runs smooth, strong and fine. I have changed the oil since it looked like an Arby's Jamocha milk shake and I am gusssing I will have to do that a couple of times.

I have a couple of questions. The boat has a new fiberglass high lift muffler.The hot side of the exhaust was not replaced. The anti siphon valve was not reinstalled. Does it make sense to reinstall? Will that help a little with this back flow problem?
Secondly you arent supposed to run the pump with out the water source. If you close the seacock and open after the engine starts, arent I going to have some impeller failure because the pump will turn with out a water source? How long can the motor run with the cock closed and not cause an impeller problem? If I am starting the boat alone it takes a more than few seconds for me to climb down in the boat and open/close the valve?

If I think there may be water in the muffler is there an easy way to drain?

I have noticed that the temperature of the engine will get up to and over 200 degrees early in the startup warm up, for a short period of time before backing to 190-180? Is this a function of the engine getting hot before the thermostat opens? It doesnt last long but it makes me a little nervous.

Finally is there any problem with a Catalina 30 having water siphone back into the engine if the boat heels? Is there anyway to avoid the problem. Thanks. Catalina 1771.