Thread: Over propped?
View Single Post
  #14   IP: 73.178.105.13
Old 10-05-2021, 08:49 PM

Tom,

I would like to point out that I said "...I'm the only person alive who hates the Indigo prop". Everyone, and I do mean everyone gushes about their experiences, that's why I bought it.

Around 2100 rpm achieved 4.5 knots in a calm slack tide. the engine revs in neutral over 3000rpm (I get scared before I reach full throttle). In reverse she revved just about as high as in neutral.

I've been fortunate as far as fouling is concerned...at most one or two barnacles over the season. If i'm not getting underway on any given weekend, I make sure I steam forward and reverse at the dock to get water moving past the prop and at least some of the bottom...so prop is usually clean.

Reversing does indeed stop the boat quite well as long as I don't mind making so much noise that it sounds like I'm avoiding a collision (mine is the only A4 equipped boat in the marina).

My docking situation is such that I have just over a boat length in which to back into my slip. By the time I gain enough speed for effective steerage, I'm halfway into the slip, and not always positioned the way I want or need to be. Of course, after 15-20 seconds of the A4 screaming like a banshee in reverse, everyone on the dock has eyes on me and my rookie looking maneuvers.

I believe I installed the Indigo in 2013. That's nine seasons to get to know her and learn how to work around the shortcomings. Maybe you're right. Maybe I need to plunk the cash on a fresh engine. I believe she's original (1971) but I'm not certain.

Thanx for the input and suggestions.
s/v Anchovy, 1971 C&C 30-1, Hull #1
Tolchester, MD
The Following User Says Thank You to rickinnj For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (10-07-2021)