View Single Post
  #8   IP: 71.118.13.238
Old 06-20-2013, 12:16 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,298 Times in 844 Posts
Lightbulb Fwiw

Patrick, I just did a rewire on mine. I did all of the main power to switch, switch to 3 panels and the entire engine.
I did not wire the engine as convention would dictate. Rather than have 2 sets of wires going aft for the main panel and the engine, I took a #6 wire to the panel and from there 18" away a #10 to the engine panel for it's power. Doing so really cleaned up a lot of the wiring.
I did change some of the color coding ( OK to cringe Neil) to the engine as I was using "harsh environment bundled cable" for a harness (5 wires) for the power to the engine. I have an ammeter wired in at the "engine" panel I have below which eliminated a 30' charging run that's now less than 3'. Everything works better and I have more voltage available everywhere due to shortened runs, a good thing to consider when rewiring.
I figure the engine is part of the boat so why not include it with the boats wiring system instead of a separate one. All I really did was pick up my engine power from a source that was close and needed to be in the same area~~food for thought. It's my boat and I don't like the "Universal" wiring kits that were supplied due to the "plug".
I did make an engine wiring diagram for the boat files.
In the years since the boat was built many things were added and dropped etc, so things can get to be a mess. Take a good look at what you have and what you want, a bit of thought can really make things a lot simpler.

Dave Neptune