View Single Post
  #8   IP: 72.17.207.179
Old 01-17-2007, 08:58 AM

Update to the Saga

Yesterday, the savior parts from Moyer Marine showed up (thanks MLK for making me wait another day) and, after about 30 minutes, I had them installed. The new parts:

Coil (The RIGHT kind)
Distro Cap (For electronic points)
Rotor
Electronic Points
Crank scavenger tube (the one that goes to the flame arrester on the carb - I broke my old one).

I installed these parts, and after a coughing start, the engine ran mostly peachy.

For about 15 minutes, then it started sputtering and occasionally dying. A little choke, and the engine ran smooth as silk again.

Aha! I thought. More crap getting to the main jet.

A few minutes later, whatever had clogged it must have run through, because it started running fine without choke again.

(Side note: Damn brass lines to the choke can add issues: They are soft and easily stripped (mine were already), and of course the one to the bottom of the carb I didn't tighten enough apparently and I found a leak. So, I tightened that. Perhaps that was the problem - getting air in the line - but it was the line to choke. Replacing those brass lines with longer rubber ones is a fantastic idea and I will do it next time for certain).

In any case, she's running real nice now, although it still seems like ocassionally crap is getting in to the main jet. Since I have a brand new RACOR 200FG filter, the only culprit I see is the fuel pump. Does the bottom bowl twist off? And can I replace that part?

Probably my next purchase from Moyer will be the manual fuel pump bowl (next payday).

Anyway, taking the boat out today.

Next issue: While under load for extended periods of time, the raw-water cooled engine gets hotter than 140 - reducing throttle allows it to cool. I suspect the water impeller needs replaced. Any known issues with replacing the impeller?

So, moral the story: Sometimes it's not just one issue, it's several at once. But the A4 does purr nicely and run smooth as silk when everything is right . And I highly recommend the electronic points. I purchased new points and within 30 minutes they'd corroded for whatever reason causing sputtering and other issues - and left me pulling my hair out for days. NO more matchbook covers and adjustments! Yay!

-Chas

PS - Special thanks to Don for being patient and adding his expertise to the troubleshooting. We tried everything and in the end, the big problem was the NEW mechanical points. Go figure. One thing's for sure, I'll always buy my parts through Moyer - it's good to get the *right* parts).

Last edited by CaptainChas; 01-17-2007 at 09:02 AM.