• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Originally posted by blhickson View Post
    Any suggestions for removing Permatex from tools and fingers? I do use gloves, but...they wear thru pretty quickly. Thanks for the pix!
    Barbara-
    Doing all of the bolts with the backing plate kits is a good way to go.
    (I wish I'd done mine at the time of my repair)
    As Neal says, "Do it right... only cry once"

As far as Permatex cleanup.
    If you let it dry completely, it takes on a rubbery texture and is pretty easy to rub off. Especially fingers and most tools.
    I did clean up a rubber bowl and spoon a long time back with dish soap and it came right off.
    YMMV
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• blhickson
      • Nov 2012

Water jacket bolt fixes are on!

Yay, finally received the water jacket bolt repair kits this week (4) and the install did not go badly at all. I dry fitted all of them first and, after figuring out the contortions to put them in, all of them went on without having to cut any. This was the harder part of the install with the JBWeld. It took a while to figure out how to hold the plate just so, so I could screw a bolt into it with the other hand. That was the challenge. I used a mechanic’s pick to hold some in place, that was a good thought. I took everything off in the same order that I had dry fitted, and placed the same bolts in the same holes for each stainless back strap. The JB WELD was not as messy as I had imagined, but while wrestling into position, I did put my calf and thigh into the Weld. Oh well, could have been far worse. I used the “double nutting” technique as instructed in the MM instructions the first time, but did not see the advantage of it, so only wrenched the one nut into place after that. It is setting and I will get back to installing the side plate in a day or two. The whole deal was not as bad as I imagined. I hope I put enough JBWeld on the back plates. I probably did, but not like Roadnsky’s impeccable slathering. Hope it won’t come back to haunt me. Will keep the brain trust informed. Excited to get this project moving forward.
      Barbara L. Hickson
      Flight Risk
      C&C 33-1
      Chas., SC

Comment

• blhickson
        • Nov 2012

WAS I SUPPOSED TO...

Was I supposed to remove the nuts after using them to tighten the back plates against the inside of the water jacket☺️.. The MM instructions did not address this and I assumed they would need to stay in play until the JBWeld was set.
        Barbara L. Hickson
        Flight Risk
        C&C 33-1
        Chas., SC

Comment

Working...
        X