Thread: Vinegar flush
View Single Post
  #15   IP: 138.207.177.95
Old 10-18-2021, 09:22 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Schober View Post
Yeah, this is an old post - but it's an old and enduring issue. So, I'll give you my old opinion..(from an old guy).
The stuff you're trying to loosen up and remove would take a hammer and chisel to remove mechanically. Think 'barnacle' or 'clam shell'. Put a clam shell into salad dressing (vinegar) and see what happens. Won't be much.
Muriatic acid is the way to go. It comes in gallon jugs but the concentration in the jug varies from 15% to 20% depending on the brand. Dilute it to 10% in your 5 gal bucket. Yes, you can do the math.
Don't run the engine - you'll be recirculating the acid and you won't be able to keep the exhaust cool. Use a cheapo (disposable) drill pump to circulate the acid. Put the foot of some old (or new) panty hose over the return line to catch any lumps.
As to how long, keep an eye on your progress. What does the stuff in the bucket look like? How much crud is in the filter? The acid flushes I've done have gone 30 min to 1 hr. I wouldn't go over an hour before wondering whether the engine was done or the acid was done.
My exhaust stays cool, the ENTIRE exhaust goes into the bucket, not just the cooling water.