View Single Post
  #9   IP: 47.18.111.244
Old 10-13-2021, 06:39 PM

Here is a follow up story. Hoping for some advise on what to do next...
I installed new Facet pump. Engine started right away and run for about 20 minutes after which I took the boat around the mooring field. At this point I am thinking I am back in business. I came back few days later to sail the boat. The engine started and run for about 10 minutes after which it abruptly shut down. I restarted it only to have it shut down in 30 seconds. I came back today to do a proper troubleshooting. Engine started again and cutoff after 30 seconds after which it would not start again. Here are the things that I tested:
1. Opened gas tank cap and tried to start again - no luck.
2. Checked spark from ignition coil - good
3. Checked spark plugs. They were not wet. Color was somewhat black, but not too bad. There was some rust on the threads.
4. Fuel pressure out of pump is ~4 psi. I disconnected fuel line from carburetor (after fine filter) and run the pump - got good flow. Looked at the fuel in the jar and it looked fine.
5. Opened plug on the carburetor and drained fuel - looked fine.
6. Removed flame arrestor - there was some fuel in the throat.

At this point I removed carburetor and took it home to clean up. I also got a new set of spark plugs. Going back to the boat tomorrow after cleaning carb. Since the issue started with bad fuel pump I am going on assumption that this is fuel related. Does anyone have any other suggestions on what may be going on and what else I could try. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.