View Single Post
  #24   IP: 99.249.253.58
Old 12-10-2011, 11:58 AM

Kiss The Skys History

So here is my PO Story , and how I became the proud owner of "KTS"

After being away from sailing for 25 years , a Friend of a Friend needed a extra crew member for the" LEAR" race. It is an annual race between two clubs on the opposite side of Lake Erie. At the conclusion my interest was rekindled , and I just had to get my own!

As the search began , my wife would have nothing to do with it. I had a lower budget and poured over Ads and the Internet , looking for the right boat , in the 22 ft range. I was warned about two foot-itis , and eventually started looking in the 26 footers.

Under false pretenses , I took the wife on a Sunday drive , and we just happened to stop for lunch beside a Marina that had a" fixer upper" Advertised. As we strolled thru the yard , looking at boats the "Mrs" was turning her nose up in the air , and dismissing everything there. As the Broker realized the challenge in selling a boat that day was standing beside me , he suggested we go down to the water and look at a C&C 29 that was in mint shape. Although priced 25% higher than our original budget , we were both struck by how well it had been cared for , including the T&H floor , new curtain and cushions , and so on.
Unbenounced to me , thats when Deb decided owning a boat was OK , and it was going to be that one. She didn't let me in on that secret for several more weeks. As time passed , all boats I suggested were compared to "Kiss The Sky".
In the fall when it was stored on the hard and still for sail , we agreed to but in a ridiculously low offer. It was rejected of course , and so the boat sat almost all winter. As spring approached we sweetened the offer by $200 and it got accepted. The Gamble had payed off!

As it turns out KTS has had 2 PO's , and both were meticulous. The second was bitten by the same bug I was nipped by , but on one of his first trips , got caught in weather , and quickly lost intrest! His loss was my gain

I spent all spring trying to figure out the systems , including electronics , when the Broker called. He had a couple manuals for me. To my amazement when I picked up the shopping bag full of records I found myself in possession of every receipt ,manual, and maintenance record of both PO's activities, including the bill of sale from the Manufacture. The records were so complete , I could follow the paper trail of the Head! 2 rebuild kits , followed by a complete replacement.

I also got all the original documentation for the A4 , including both , a well used owners manual and maintenance manual.

When the time arrives to cure my aforementioned 2ft-itis , I hope to do the same for the next guy.

Jim

Jimmy
C&C 29 MK1
Erieau , Lake Erie