View Single Post
  #73   IP: 107.0.6.243
Old 09-29-2011, 09:21 AM
Afourian MVP

Talking

Neil - Your research seems to reinforce the wisdom learned from the sixties when we were building "street" machines and dropping our money into a different kind of "hole". In those days the ignition "horsepower" race was on among the aftermarket suppliers, Accel and Mallory come to mind. The theory was that more was better - 50,000 volts from the Mallory RevPol system I used on a 426 wedge with 13.5:1 compression. But that was another era and now we have 6:1 compresion and just flat don't need that level of ignition. This is the punch line that your research is now quantifying - there is no point in elevating ignition voltage above that which will ignite the mixture. It follows that we can afford to lower voltage at coil+ to the minimum that will fire the mixture. Knowing that cranking reduces effective voltage at coil+ the OEM guys developed the "override" that we run from solenoid "R". FWIW I have been using the same points and coil for 1000 hrs by constantly supervising the points with a dwell meter,not a feeler gauge. As far as I can see the only real advantage to electronic ignition is the low maintenance feature.

Last edited by hanleyclifford; 09-29-2011 at 09:33 AM.