X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wade Rogers
    • Jun 2010

Alaska Introduction

Good day to the forum. Just a note of introduction. I live and sail in Alaska, land of the midnight sun. Actually, I'm down on the S.E. panhandle of the state in Juneau. I live in a mountainous fjord and enjoy some awesome scenery while sailing. Yes Martha, we do sail in Alaska because our summers can be really nice (65-70 degrees, southeast winds to 15, etc). I've sailed since high school on everything from 26' sloops to 50' Beneteau's, 42' Sagas (Bob Perry design), etc.
    At present, I own a Catalina 27 with an A4 engine. Got the Cat27 because she's not too big, not too small for intracoastal sailing and yet roomy enough for 3 people. I'm new the the A4 engine and was worried about a gas engine on a sailboat but the ol' girl seems to run fine. I love that it's quieter than a diesel and that parts are pretty easy to get.
    Just wanted to say 'Hi' from the great, white north and I'll be posting a question regarding a high idle issue with the A4...
    Thanks and fair winds
    Wade
  • rigspelt
    Afourian MVP
    • May 2008

Welcome! This is a very helpful, friendly bunch. One of the most helpful and friendly is somewhere up there in your neck of the woods, so to speak. He'll check in soon.
    1974 C&C 27

Comment

• lat 64
      Afourian MVP
      • Oct 2008

The sun never sets on the empire of the mosquito

Wade,
      Hello from still farther north. I live in Fairbnks, but the boat is in Homer.
      I lived in Ju-juneua-Juno-jeaneua-arrrg the Capitol when I was little in the '60s.
      Rigs,
      If you meant me , I'll take the complements.
      Cheers,
      Russ
      sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• CalebD
        Afourian MVP
        • May 2007

High idle issue

A high idle issue could be as simple as modifying the settings of the cables that adjust the throttle and/or choke.
        Could be carb related too I suppose.
        Welcome Juneau Wade.
        Tartan 27 #328 owner born 1958
        A4 and boat are from 1967

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
          Wade,
          Hello from still farther north. I live in Fairbnks, but the boat is in Homer.
          I lived in Ju-juneua-Juno-jeaneua-arrrg the Capitol when I was little in the '60s.
          Rigs,
          If you meant me , I'll take the complements.
          Cheers,
          Russ
          Home of the great big freakin' bears that like to sneak up on you while you are walking the dog!

Comment

• Al Schober
            Afourian MVP
            • Jul 2009

Welcome aboard. You'll come to love the Atomic 4 - even my wife has come to love ours. If you don't have a fume sniffer, I recommend one for peace of mind.

Al

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Wade, I like most of Mr. Perry's designs, have sailed on a Valiant 40 as a kid & read his book, (Yacht Design According to Perry) and we had a buddy with a Saga 42 here on the East Coast of the US (Chesapeake Bay)

I have a Catalina 30, so almost the same!

Welcome!
              -Shawn
              "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X