View Single Post
  #1   IP: 98.179.180.122
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 PM
Frequent Contributor

Introduction; Attempting To Revive An A4

Hello everyone. First, let me say that this website and forum have been invaluable resources in just the few short days since I started working on an Atomic 4 (heck, a week ago I didn't know a thing about them!) So thank you for your dedication and willingness to share your knowledge. It has already helped me tremendously. That said, here comes a long winded post.

A little back story...

Last year my brother acquired a Pearson 30 (1971/2) equipped with an Atomic 4. For various reasons, the boat has sat on the hard for the last year. When she was last hauled, I don't believe the engine was properly winterized. I spoke with the PO and she said that they didn't run the engine much in the last few years, but that the old Atomic 4 "just runs and runs." She also said they kept up with the basic yearly maintenance. So, that's fairly encouraging.

We are planning to launch the boat within the next few weeks, with the sole intent of sailing it across the bay so that it can be hauled/stored at a marina down the street, rather than a 45 min. drive away. With that in mind, I've made it my personal mission to MAKE SURE that engine is going to run.

Here's what I've already done, as recommended by Mr. Moyer and many on this forum:

-change oil (the old oil was frothy; evidence of water intrusion)

-change spark plugs, perform thumb compression test (seemed OK to me)

-pour Marvel Mystery Oil into each cylinder via spark plug hole

-flush old fuel from carburetor via the main passage plug on the bottom (it
was pretty nasty looking, but didn't seem to have any water in it)

-remove water pump cover plate to inspect impeller (impeller is in surprisingly good condition)

-remove distributor cap and clean contact points. The condenser, cap, wires, etc. all look to be in relatively good condition.

We have not tried actually starting the engine yet. I wanted to give it a fighting chance by making sure at least some of the necessary things were done. The good news is the starter is functional, and the pistons turn over. Hurray, the engine isn't totally seized.

The bad news is...it looks like the engine is BADLY corroded, and leaks coolant (raw sea water) from a few different places. It seems like the water pump is leaky, as well as the gasket for the thermostat housing, and probably a few other spots (the cooling jacket area looks pretty rough). My initial reaction on seeing the engine was, damn... that is one helluva rust bucket. I've got my fingers crossed and I'm hoping that it's mostly exterior, cosmetic corrosion, and that the engine's guts are OK.

I have a few specific questions:

1. After I flushed and then manually re-primed the carburetor with fuel, I noticed a small drip leak of fuel coming from the very bottom of the carb (where the scavenger is connected). It leaked very slowly for maybe an hour, then stopped. Does this mean the carb has a faulty gasket? Or did I simply fill it with too much fuel? Would it leak during operation, and could this be dangerous/worrisome?

2. Spark plugs #1 and #4 threaded/unthreaded extremely easily; #2 was tougher; #3 was an absolute bear - both ways. I even stripped the threads on a new spark plug trying to install it in #3. Is it possible to damage the actual threads on the head? Or could they be damaged/crossthreaded? (I did manage to get one in there, but it took some muscle, and I was using anti-seize)

3. What to do about a leaky water pump? If it is able to circulate enough water to cool the engine, will it be OK for the short amount of time we need it for? This would be an item to replace in the future obviously, but right now we just need this thing to run.

4. From what I can tell, the thermostat has been removed and replaced by a manual bypass valve to control temperature. Does this seem right? And how does one typically operate the valve to control temp?

5. Attached are a some photos. My million dollar question is this: have you seen an A4 that was this thrashed-looking run perfectly fine? And potentially be restored/rebuilt in the future? I just don't know were "too far gone" is for these things.

Name:  cooling bypass.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  inside cap.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  102.9 KB

Name:  water pump.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  119.1 KB

Name:  water jacket.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  101.3 KB

Name:  thermostat.jpg
Views: 618
Size:  100.3 KB

I have lots more photos that I'll likely attach in another post or two.

Thank you all in advance - feel free to reply to any, or all, of my questions and concerns. Or address something I haven't thought of.

Tomorrow I roll down to the boatyard with my bro to try and fire her up. I'll report back!
The Following User Says Thank You to sealevelsound For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-08-2020)