View Single Post
  #3   IP: 98.110.153.146
Old 10-26-2013, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Gari
Thanks muchly for the info. Perhaps you are correct in that some of thexe parts are nearing their end-of- (useful)life. Looks like a major project but with a Tartan 30 the engine is mid-ship making accessibility not so much a problem. And if what you suggest is what I must do, I will.

However, should I just conclude that the complete housing needs to be removed, or should, and can, I remove just the rear coupling and bearing plate to examine the tail end of the shaft first?? That way if the shaft/keyway/key are OK I can replace the oil seal then go on to look for the slipping issue.

The slipping has been going on for several years but getting worse. Let me describe it: Reverse always behaves in a normal way. Going forward it is necessary to idle the engine down as low as possible then slowly bring the rpm back up. Sometimes it catches on the first or second try - other times it requires several tries. Once engaged it doesn't slip even under high power in rough seas. The adjustment ring (screw collar) is within one notch of being so tight it cannot get into the détente.

I have always assumed that it was the clutch plates causing the slippage but reading these posts about damaged Woodworth keys and broken tail shafts makes me wonder. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.