View Single Post
  #27   IP: 216.14.224.14
Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post
As for the multi-stage smart regulator, you really want to go that way. Not only will it help maximize your battery life, but it will minimize the amount of engine run time required to charge the batteries. The built-in internal regulators are essentially automotive regulators, and back-off to a trickle charge way too soon. Any decent alternator shop should be able to modify an alternator to bypass the regulator and bring out the feild terminals. Just be sure they know its for marine use so they install the proper seals to protect against igniting any gas fumes. The smart regulators will pound the amp-hours into the batteries at the fastest rate they will accept it, until they're about 80% charged. Only then will it back off to a slower charge rate for the last 20%, and then back off to a trickle/sustaining charge.

This minimized engine runtime becomes important when you're passage making, and have to run the engine so many hours each day to maintain your "power budget".
Thanks for the advice on the smart regulator, that's the way I will go. Does anyone have a recommendation on an externally regulated alternator that will easily fit in place of the stock A4 alternator? Seems like I should be able to buy what I need without having to modify.
Attached Images