View Single Post
  #10   IP: 23.30.167.105
Old 03-20-2021, 08:46 PM

Next step...

Tim, thanks for the intel on the machine shop in Allston...will check it out. I got referrals to a couple shops up my way in peabody and Beverly

After discussing and researching and meditating and supplicating, I went back out there and started turning wrenches again today....

Began by considering removing the manifold, thinking I am in for a complete valve job and need to get it out of the way. Reconsidered this after a) first stud starting coming out with the nut and b) noticed all the "other" stuff that comes off with the manifold. Changed course.

Removed valve spring gallery cover (it has been on and off a couple times already in this adventure). Access is OK but not awesome once the breather tube comes off and the throttle linkage is disconnected. I removed the cover to be able to see when the #3 exhaust valve lifter is at bottom. Success on the removal. Noticed several other random fasteners and parts on a slow but eventual course to the bilge when I dropped one of the bolts. Maybe a valve cover stud kit is in my future...opened beer.

Next, soaked #3 exhaust valve (stuck. the whole reason for this repair) in various lubricious libations (MMO, PB Blaster). Said various incantations. Sipped a human libation (Bent Water Brewing's Thunder Funk IPA - highly recommend if you are into such things). Found an appropriate small block of wood and after confirming that the lifter was at its low point, I gently tapped the valve down, turned the engine over by hand to raise it again and repeated this process about 17 times until the valve dropped on its own consistently. Sipped additional libation.

After getting the valve working, I set up cleaning up the mess of carbon and sludge from the block. I pulled all the studs. looks like I have at least three different kinds of studs (some larger bottom threads, some longer than necessary) and two different kinds of nuts. It appeared that I had two head gaskets. Is that normal? I have to reread the moyer repair manual on that.

While sipping aforementioned cold beer, I considered the brevity and preciousness of my time here and on earth and counted my blessings, among which is the time to fuss around with 47 year old engines in 47 year old sailboats.

The questions for the forum are:
1. Is it worth getting a set of replacement studs? Or just reuse the ones I have? It looks like at least three of them have some bulging and as noted above there are several different sizes which I assume means that someone has been in here before fussing around and breaking/stripping things.
2. Can a full valve job be done without pulling the manifold? Remember, we are trying to contain the scope on this particular adventure.
3. With the valve unstuck and operating, should I just put her back together and fire it up and do the major rebuild next year? As my next door neighbor (retired machinist and hot rod builder) says, all you've got to lose is a head gasket and a few hours work if you decide to broaden the rebuild scope after.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to wagner For This Useful Post:
Surcouf (03-21-2021)