X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alcodiesel
    • Oct 2015

Wiring kit cost for A4

Hello all, with nothing left to tweak on my boat it began to bother me that the alternator couldn't put as solid a charge on the batts as plugging in to shore power. So I removed the ammeter and installed a V meter and directed the alternator out to the B+ on the starter. Works great.

Doing the job highlighted what a mess the engine wiring is. I am amazed at how reliable she has been.

Ok, so I'll pick up one of Don's kits. However $350! Holy shrink wrap! For wire and crimp terminals! Am I missing something here?
    Bill McLean
    '76 Ericson 27
    :valhalla:
    Norfolk, VA
  • Dave Neptune
    Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
    • Jan 2007

Yes the cost does seem a bit high for what you get however the reason these kits exist for both auto and marine use is that it saves a huge amount of time and fiddling. I worked on a few Jaguar's dropping in small block Chevy engines. The first one I wired myself the next two I plopped down the money and saved a great deal of time and such.

The nice thing with the MMI kit is that it follows the original color coding which is a help when a novice is using the manual you know what wire is what by color and not tracing. Time vs ease and money.

There is also a wire "bundle"" made in a couple of configurations just for wiring engines, lights and accessories. They are a single round bundle with various gage wires for each circuit. The wire is about a 1/2" and the larger with more wires is about 5/8" diameter. It makes doing the runs easy from one end to the other. I think they were 7 wire and 9 wire bundle in a nice white cover. That's what I used as I had some left from rewiring a couple of dune buggies.

Another is to just start wiring by eliminating the "trailer plug" one wire at a time. This way you can customize to your set up and desire.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• ndutton
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

What Dave said.

If sourcing the marine grade, tinned wire of the proper color, wire gauge and length yourself, I expect you'll find the cost - - including time investment - - to be a wash and in the end you'll have wire and terminals left over due to package quantities not to mention you won't have MMI's excellent step by step, wire by wire instructions.

However, there may be other reasons to blaze your own trail rather than use a stock kit. In my case I had greater loads on some wires requiring a greater wire gauge to mitigate voltage drop (dual electric coolant pumps adding 4 amps to the ignition circuit that already had an electric fuel pump for example. My ignition purple wire is now 10 gauge). I also had additional wires in the engine harness not included in a standard kit such as fuel gauge senders for dual tanks and gauge illumination from the navigation light circuit. Finally, my wire lengths were a little longer than the MMI kit.
      Neil
      1977 Catalina 30
      San Pedro, California
      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• alcodiesel
        • Oct 2015

OK, that was all I needed to order the harness.
        Bill McLean
        '76 Ericson 27
        Norfolk, VA

Comment

• alcodiesel
          • Oct 2015

Perhaps I got a little carried away cutting out the harness. What is this yellow wire coming out of the alternator? I thought it was the excitor but don't see it on the Atomic schematic.
          Attached Files
          Bill McLean
          '76 Ericson 27
          Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

It is the exciter, goes to coil + post.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California

Comment

• alcodiesel
              • Oct 2015

Dang, Neil, that was fast service. Thank you.
              Bill McLean
              '76 Ericson 27
              Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ronstory
                Afourian MVP
                • Feb 2016

... and for future reference, here are most of the alternator wiring connections for marine stuff.
                Attached Files
                Thanks,
                Ron
                Portland, OR

Comment

• alcodiesel
                  • Oct 2015

This engine was wired in a way I do not find on any schematic: R on the starter solenoid to coil +. What is that?
                  Bill McLean
                  '76 Ericson 27
                  Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

That is an old school resistor bypass used as a starting aid and as far as I know, never part of a factory recommended Atomic 4 wiring scheme. I'll research it a little to be sure it was never recommended.
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California

Comment

• jcwright
                      Afourian MVP
                      • Jul 2012

Hello Bill.

This paragraph from the MMI instructions for the wiring kit mentions the R terminal I think you are referring to:

"On late model engines with Delco starters, there is an "R" terminal on the rear face of the starter solenoid which functions as an
                      auxiliary contact; meaning that it is energized only during the time the starter is engaged to start the engine. By running a lead
                      from the "R" terminal to the same terminal on the oil safety switch to which the pump connects, it’s possible to supply power
                      directly to the fuel pump while the engine is being started; otherwise, power to the pump will be provided in a second (or two) as
                      oil pressure raises past 10 psi. "

Hope this helps.

Jack.

Comment

• alcodiesel
                        • Oct 2015

Neil, It looked like original wiring and I was guessing something like that. No need to research. This was an "Inquiring minds want to know" kind of thing.

Thanks Jack, it ran to the coil.
                        Bill McLean
                        '76 Ericson 27
                        Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ndutton
                          Afourian MVP
                          • May 2009

The R terminal has been used by a few forum members for different reasons. As jack said, some use it to give an electric fuel pump a pre-start jolt, I've used it in the past to get a single wire alternator to start charging without having to rev the engine up (I don't any more) but as yours was wired, it gives a coil with a resistor in line a higher voltage when starting. In my opinion, none of these schemes are necessary for a good starting, good running A4. Can you do it? Sure. Should you? That depends on how much you like extra wires and complication.

FYI, my Westerbeke A4 manual does not show anything connected to the R terminal in any of their wiring drawings.
                          Neil
                          1977 Catalina 30
                          San Pedro, California

Comment

• alcodiesel
                            • Oct 2015

Thank you everyone. She is rewired. Looks good. Don't smell any insulation burning. haha! Tomorrow I'll clean everything up and start 'er up.
                            Bill McLean
                            '76 Ericson 27
                            Norfolk, VA

Comment

• ronstory
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Feb 2016

Congrats! Got any pics? I need a bit of inspiration to tackle my birds nest.
                              Thanks,
                              Ron
                              Portland, OR

Comment

Working...
                              X