View Single Post
  #14   IP: 172.90.236.77
Old 11-20-2021, 08:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

It's Steam! And the cooling system is probably broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinaDelRey View Post
Great questions, all. I'll take a look this weekend and see if how many answers I can gather.

Here's what I know so far:

The smoke/steam doesn't go away after she is warmed up.
The choke was open all the way - I run the risk of stalling at lower RPMs so I have the idea that keeping the choke out will help that.
Last tune up was 7 months ago.
I've done some troubleshooting per the above, and I've made an even bigger problem. That's ok because I have a little bit more clarity

I concluded that the smoke was actually steam, so that is helpful to know. I also ran the engine for longer than I usually do getting in and out of the marina and it overheated (my heat gauge is broken, so the engine actually started to smell and I saw a wisp of smoke.

I docked while under sail, and let the engine cool for a day. When I started it up again - No steam - and also no water coming out of the exhaust. BUT it quickly overheated.

I think the issue has to do with the cooling system. I watched a video on replacing impellers but I haven't tried it yet. I see that some engines have a raw water pump in the front of the engine, but mine only has the pump that is tucked in the back which I think is a fresh water pump.

My question to this group is - how do I trouble shoot the cooling system?