View Single Post
  #7   IP: 74.15.163.181
Old 04-27-2015, 03:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Thumbs up I feel your pain

Chris

I felt your pain after reading the story of your cutless bearing replacement. I just finished the same project on my C&C 27, which is essentially the same boat as yours.

I went through the same agony of reading information on line about pressing the shaft out of the coupling. I had some success using a socket. After a few weekends of contorting myself into cockpit lockers, it eventually bound on the keyway, rendering it useless. Two minutes with a reciprocating saw to the old shaft made me wonder why I wasted my time, as I also found the old shaft worn.

Pressing the new cutless bearing in was easy - a 3/4-in. threaded rod with washers and grease made me feel like a true millwright.

I agree the Moyer split coupling is a thing of beauty, making the reinstall a piece of cake.

I used the Buck & Algonquin hose for the stuffing box, although I upgrade to T-bolt type hose clamps - anyone have any opinion on T-bolt versus regular hose clamps?

My C&C 27 also has an aluminum bracket that fastens to two stringers on either side of the gland. The bracket slips over the spud nut, though I'm not sure what the purpose of this is. Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I just reinstalled the shaft yesterday (with shorter bolts too). Did you need to check the clearance between the couplings to make sure they are aligned? Do I need to do this?? Or since the engine didn't move, everything should be in the same spot?