X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jimmy
    • Aug 2011

Shawn
    I made the mistake of presuming that all blowers are sealed, to prevent spark at start up. I can't fathom using a unit that isn't
    doing so makes about as much sense as using a match to illuminate your filler tank at night.....so your certain to not over fill when refueling
    Jim
    sigpic
    Jimmy
    C&C 29 MK1
    Erieau , Lake Erie

Comment

• sastanley
      Afourian MVP
      • Sep 2008

Jim, they may well be sealed.."ignition protected", but I guess mounting them away from the bilge is an additional safety factor.

I probably should have stated in my last post that it was my opinion that is why they do that. I don't build boats, so I could be wrong.
      -Shawn
      "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
      "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
      sigpic

Comment

• jpian0923
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2010

My blower is mounted in the stern locker, from about a foot to the transom exit, connected to a long hose that hangs about a foot off the the bilge bottom. Not my design. It was this way when I got the boat. Must be some science to it that I won't mess with.
        "Jim"
        S/V "Ahoi"
        1967 Islander 29
        Harbor Island, San Diego
        2/7/67 A4 Engine Block date

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Nov 2008

Jim, This Gets Interesting

If the blower intake is on the bottom of the bilge it will pick up the heavier than air gas fumes.

However:
          When the bilge has some water in it the inlet tube will either (A) be under water or (B) float on top of the water.

TRUE GRIT

Comment

• David Masury
            • Oct 2004

I see that you own a c&c... I own a c&c 27mklll, the noise your are hearing it simply the tract that these boats were made somewhat thin. You can add insulation above the engine and as far as the blower goes, get another that maybe more quiet... The A4 is not that noisy compared to a diesel.

I would be satisfied if the engine ran well and got me to where I needed to go..
            Actually mines runs quite well, thank you.

David

Comment

• Bold Rascal
              • Mar 2011

Engine Noise

My A4 runs fairly quiet as well AND, I like being able to hear it while it's running, at least for the time being.
              Mike, Slower-Lower Eastern shore, MD
              1973 Pearson 33
              1967 Bristol 27
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X