• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ILikeRust
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2010

So - pros versus cons re: Indigo prop?

Well from what I'm reading here and in the prop FAQ at the Moyer Marine web site, it seems that there are nearly zero negative comments regarding the Indigo 3-blade prop, and the general consensus is it works very well with a direct-drive A4.

I'm leaning towards going ahead and buying one, as using the prop that is on the boat now (which has been on it for years, as far as I know), the engine never gets above about 1700 rpm at WOT.

The previous owner told me he had the timing and everything checked by a marine mechanic and the engine did run very well, so I figured the only thing left was the prop. The surveyor agreed that was the likely culprit.

I guess the primary potential downside is increased drag from the 3-blade versus the existing 2-blade prop.

But being as my prop is in a cutout between the rudder and stern end of the keel, I'm wondering if that increase in frontal surface area might potentially be minimized. Here's a lousy photo:

Also, Indigo states that the increase is about 9%, so I'm thinking that on a 30-foot, 10,000 - 12,000 lb. boat (1968 Pearson Wanderer), the extra drag of that prop likely will be so small as to be negligible and not noticeable. After all, I'm not racing; I'm just cruising around the Chesapeake Bay.

All in all, it looks like to me that it probably is worth it to drop the $$ on the Indigo prop, but I figured I'd drop a note to see if anyone has any other "cons" I should consider to balance out all the "pro" comments I've seen, before plonking down another few hundred bucks and yet another new thing for das boot.

Thanks...
    - Bill T.
    - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes
  • hanleyclifford
    Afourian MVP
    • Mar 2010

Go for the three blade Indigo. Three blades run truer than two and for a cruiser that is important. You didn't say, but my hunch is that your present 2 blade is too much prop for your situation. If you cannot get to 2000 rpm in flat water, you have too much prop.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

PRO - Works better in every possible way under power
      CON - Slower under sail than a feathering, folding, or fixed 2 blade.

So
      RACE = Not a good choice if you want to win.
      CRUISE = hell yes!
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

Originally posted by joe_db View Post
        PRO - Works better in every possible way under power
        CON - Slower under sail than a feathering, folding, or fixed 2 blade.

So
        RACE = Not a good choice if you want to win.
        CRUISE = hell yes!
        +1 what Joe said... and with yours partially hidden in a aperture, the drag concern is less than say someone like me with it just hanging from a strut between the keel & rudder.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by sastanley; 02-24-2011, 03:56 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

• ndutton
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

It's funny. Wasn't that long ago if I hauled my boat and the prop tips were bent like Shawn's picture I'd wonder what the Hell I'd hit.
          Neil
          1977 Catalina 30
          San Pedro, California
          prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
          Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2008

No complaints whatsoever with mine - I have an apature like your vessal and the ability to manuver at low speed has been greatly improved.

You won't regret buying one.

Cheers!

Comment

• sastanley
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2008

Neil, those are the vortex reducing and thrust inducing fancy wingtips!!! - I almost feel I should enter into a race, except the other props are spinning 8,500 RPM

Nothing wrong with trickle down technology in my opinion.

In reality, there is reduced prop wash across my Cat 30 Mark I rudder compared to the two blade 12 x 7 Michigan Wheel prop. I used to get bruises on the inside of my right leg!!
              -Shawn
              "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
              sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

There was an FAA inspector famous for grounding airplanes he saw with "bent" props. The technology was called Q-Tip when it appeared on airplane props.

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                It's funny. Wasn't that long ago if I hauled my boat and the prop tips were bent like Shawn's picture I'd wonder what the Hell I'd hit.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• smosher
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

I have a P30, which has a fin keel and a spade rudder. When I changed to the indigo
                  I had more reverse and more thrust in beating.

Steve

Comment

• ndutton
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

The anti vortex tip concept isn't lost on me and I admire Indigo developing the product.

It's appearance looks like the prop on a WW2 plane wreck. Here's a pic of a crashed F4U, one of my favorite dive sites. Check out the one visible prop tip, clear evidence the prop was turning when she went in.
                    Attached Files
                    Neil
                    1977 Catalina 30
                    San Pedro, California
                    prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                    Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Concord
                      • Jun 2008

New Indigo

I put on an Indigo SS 3 blade prop and launched last Friday. Thus far I am very happy with the new prop. The engine revs a little higher but the power is a lot smoother.

There was always vibration in the back of the boat with the 2 blade and it was bad enought to make the swim ladder and cockpit hatches vibrate while motoring. There was virtually no vibration with the new prop.

Very happy with the performance.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                        Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                        • Jan 2007

Go 4 it!

Laker, I too was a bit doubtful although I do have a bit of prop experience under my belt. I played with many a 2 blade (4 props and about a dozen combinations of re-pitch and diameter adjustments) an finally decided to try it. Well it's been on the boat now for the 6th season and I have not considered any sort of changes, a rarity for me.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• arthur
                          • Oct 2010

3 blade prop

does any one know if you can reconfigure a good 3 blade prop to the shape of a indigo 3 blade, from my experience a good prop shop can do miracles in reshaping a prop an probably a lot cheaper are there any specs out there on indigos prop art.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                            Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                            • Jan 2007

Prop shop!

I worked in a prop shop for a short time and they can do a great deal to tweak one. However I don't think they could duplicate the winglets without welding/or brazing.
                            There are many new props available today such as the Indigo that are using a far different crossection for fluid dynamics (Campbell Propellar in Canada)assiciated with forward thrust just as an aircraft wing is associated with lift. Most props are more of a linear screw with good flow at the edges only.
                            The nicest thing with the Indigo is it works well on the A-4 direct drive which it was designed for!

Dave Neptune

Comment

• sastanley
                              Afourian MVP
                              • Sep 2008

ILR,
                              Did you ever pick up an Indigo prop?

With a clean prop & timing adjustment (reset from scratch actually ) I was able to get 2,300 RPM WOT this weekend..that is 150 more than I could get last year.

I even did some sailing this weekend, and I agree that the additional drag is negligible compared to a 2-blade fixed. The prop is so tiny when you install it you won't believe it!
                              -Shawn
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X